Kings getting closer to moving

• Start the countdown. The possibility of the Kings leaving Sacramento just became very real, if not likely, with news that the league will no longer have an active role in brokering an arena deal, a crippling blow to hopes the team and city can one day resume the love affair. Co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof take the middle road, deferring to commissioner David Stern and siding with the wishes of the majority of owners rather than making their own stand, so Stern stepping away from the table is a very meaningful moment. The breakup was never nearly as imminent as some made it seem for years, as long as the league remained adamant that the proven success of a market will stay in the fold, but that just changed.

• The other issue is the absence of a logical landing spot. Las Vegas: same arena problem. Seattle: same arena problem. Kansas City: no arena problem, but serious questions about whether the region can support a team. One member of a group that previously pursued NBA ownership said there isn't a good call out there for relocation, an undeniable factor that may have kept the Kings in the capital city this long.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/09/30/and-one/

The other issue is the absence of a logical landing spot. Las Vegas: same arena problem. Seattle: same arena problem. Kansas City: no arena problem, but serious questions about whether the region can support a team. One member of a group that previously pursued NBA ownership said there isn't a good call out there for relocation, an undeniable factor that may have kept the Kings in the capital city this long.

Vancouver: No arena problem, more than capable of supporting a team.

Sounds good to me, but of course there is no way in hell that Stern will put a team back in Vancouver considering how quickly he pulled the Grizzlies out of Vancouver in the first place.

Sacramento as a city loves their basketball, and the fans are as loyal as they come. It's going to be a shame if the Kings leave Sacramento.

Their attendance rankings over the past three seasons:

Year       Ranking
2010       29th
2009       30th
2008       27th

Sure, they had arguably the best home court advantage during the early 2000's, but they haven't exactly been the most loyal fan base since the Kings have become irrelevant. It is easy to be loyal when the team is consistently great. It is when the team starts to go through a rough patch and drop to the bottom of the standings that we truly see how loyal a fan base is.

I'll be honest though, I would hate to see Sacramento lose the Kings as well. I've always liked the Kings and despite the troubles that they have had over the past few seasons, it would still kind of suck to see them lose the team because they have shown in the past that they can support a franchise.

Then again, if it meant Vancouver got a team again, well, [expletive] Sacramento! :lol:

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Their attendance rankings over the past three seasons:

Year       Ranking
2010       29th
2009       30th
2008       27th

Sure, they had arguably the best home court advantage during the early 2000's, but they haven't exactly been the most loyal fan base since the Kings have become irrelevant. It is easy to be loyal when the team is consistently great. It is when the team starts to go through a rough patch and drop to the bottom of the standings that we truly see how loyal a fan base is.

I'll be honest though, I would hate to see Sacramento lose the Kings as well. I've always liked the Kings and despite the troubles that they have had over the past few seasons, it would still kind of suck to see them lose the team because they have shown in the past that they can support a franchise.

Then again, if it meant Vancouver got a team again, well, [expletive] Sacramento! :lol:

Wow, that's actually real surprising. I take my statement back, things have really changed lol. :lol:

I know for a fact that Reno is trying to get a pro sports team, they have had people running around with petitions all over campus the last couple weeks. Our population can't support a professional team, but I know Vegas would be able to.

• Owner
ansas City: no arena problem, but serious questions about whether the region can support a team.

LOL, the same serious questions they had for Oklahoma City. :rolleyes:

Kansas City is very capable of supporting the team. I'm not even sure how that's up for debate.

LOL, the same serious questions they had for Oklahoma City. :rolleyes:

Kansas City is very capable of supporting the team. I'm not even sure how that's up for debate.

Definitely agree with you here. The Chiefs in the NFL are one of the smallest marketed teams in the league and have the second highest attendance average over the last decade. Easily have one of the most dedicated fanbases in all of sports.