Bynums importance

kingfish

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What can the Lakers do with or without Bynum? You can select multiple answers, but dont contradict yourself.

I think we need him to win it all. He is a huge matchup advantage against the Heat, they have nobody that can guard him. If you look at the matchups Kobe is slightly better then Wade, and Lebron is much better then Artest. Gasol and Bosh could go either way, Bynum is something the Heat cant counter. Unless hes playing I dont see how we can beat them.

And Boston has too much depth in their front court, Bynum would be needed for them as well.

However we can make the Finals without him imo.

I think any major contributor to a contender is critical to their success, and I don't think any of those teams could win it all without that player. With that said, I think Bynum is expendable if they got some nice pieces in return via trade. His size is a HUGE advantage for the Lakers, but they have enough versatility in Gasol/Odom that they could make do without him. Bynum still has a ton of trade value due to his talent and age, and with a package built around him they could definitely lure a damn fine replacement. It doesn't have to be a Center, either; Bynum and a package of role players might get the job done in the near future of helping get CP3 out of NO (just an example).

Anyway, if you're asking me if they could win it all without Bynum and no replacement, I'd have to say no. It's possible, but doubtful.

I think people tend to overrate Bynum's true importance, myself included. If we can win two championships in a row with a gimpy Bynum, with DJ as his back-up, then I'm pretty confident we can win more now that we have Ratliff. If Bynum is 100% healthy, we would be pretty much unstoppable. But asking for a 100% Bynum is like asking for world peace. Just not going to happen.

The difference is there was no super team the past 2 years. Bynum-Pau is a HUGE advantage for LA, that absolutely needs to be exploited in a 7 game series. Can they win without him? Of course, like Nitro said, anything is possible, especially with Bean on your team.. But it is so important that he is healthy vs Miami, because if he isn't, then what advantage does LA have

• Owner

then what advantage does LA have

Fisher and Blake, and on-ball defense.

But I really need to see the Heat before I make my prediction.

If we're talking any other team, then the Lakers don't exactly need Drew to be 100% healthy.

Guest The REAL STL10

He is essential to beat the Heat...

In my mind, Gasol and Bynum will abuse the Heat down low because Bosh and Anthony are TERRIBLE post defenders.

The Heat also have no depth. They have 6 solid players, and then a HUGE drop off. The Lakers additions of Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, and retaining of Shannon Brown makes them a 9 deep team. You can't compete against a team with that much pure DEPTH and Kobe Bryant.

Edited by The REAL STL10

Heat also have no depth. They have 6 solid players, and then a HUGE drop off. The Lakers additions of Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, and retaining of Shannon Brown makes them a 9 deep team. You can't compete against a team with that much pure DEPTH and Kobe Bryant.

No depth? They have 3 top 15 players, one of the best 3pt shooters in the league in Miller (who happens to be one of the most well-rounded snipers), one of the best role players in the league in Haslem, another elite 3pt shooter in House, then solid role players in Z, Howard, Arroyo, Jones and Chalmers. The jury is still out on Anthony. In the playoffs teams generally run 8-9 man rotations, and they have at the very least 10 players that are very capable of playing decent post-season minutes. Not as deep as LA, but you don't really need to be when you are so top-heavy.

In past years, the Lakers were fine if Bynum wasn't 100% healthy in the Finals, but this year isn't going to be the same. In my opinion, he has to be at least 90% for them to win. They will make it a great series regardless, but without Bynum, the only advantages they have are their defenders. You stick Ron Artest on LeBron James, and maybe start Matt Barnes as well to guard Wade and that should slow them down, but it won't stop them.

With Bynum in the lineup, it changes things up a lot. First, the Heat have to use either Joel Anthony or Zydrunas Ilgauskas to guard him, unless they want to put an undersized big man like Udonis Haslem on him. Either way, Bynum is going to overpower the defender and score practically at will. I won't say that he has to be right at 100% if they want to win, but I'll say 90% or above. Just my thoughts.

• Owner

maybe start Matt Barnes as well to guard Wade and that should slow them down, but it won't stop them.

Bryant will defend Wade. Blake or Fisher will need to start in the triangle offense (or Sasha, but that's laughable). Phil won't start Kobe, Ron or Barnes at the one, for any reason unless all of our point guards, Brown and Vujacic are injured.

Bryant will defend Wade. Blake or Fisher will need to start in the triangle offense (or Sasha, but that's laughable). Phil won't start Kobe, Ron or Barnes at the one, for any reason unless all of our point guards, Brown and Vujacic are injured.

I completely forgot about Kobe lol. Wow, thanks for the reminder. Well then, they definitely have the defense to slow down the Heat, but am I not right that they do need Bynum in decent health in order to win? Who else do they have up front besides Gasol?