Ed Davis Anxious to Return, Out Another 2 Weeks

Ed Davis has missed training camp and the preseason after suffering a tear in his right knee on September 15th.

“It’s been very hard,” Davis said. “Very hard.”

Davis won't be able to make his debut for another two weeks.

Davis has only been able to do shooting drills and lift weights while recovering.

“It’s tough just lifting weights all the time,” Davis said. “I mean, I’m a basketball player, not a weight lifter.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69683/20101021/davis_anxious_to_be_healthy_make_debut_with_raptors/#ixzz13365i410

Considering how bad the Raptors are going to be, I'm also pretty anxious to see Davis return. Along with the progression of DeRozan, seeing Davis play were the two things that I was looking forward to the most this season.

I don't expect much from him right off of the bat considering his injury, him missing training camp and the fact that I don't think he was all that NBA ready to begin with, but I'm excited to see him play none the less. He definitely exceeded my expectations during the Summer League, so hopefully he can do that during the regular season.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Toronto will need that extra boost in defensive energy. Davis can be a real special player for them. You can't expect him to replace what Bosh did, obviously, but if you're rebuilding a team from scratch, sticking him in the roster may not be a bad idea, at all.

I really hope he proves to be a starter in this league.

• 3 weeks later...

who's getting more minutes once Ed Davis gets acclimated.... Davis or Amir Johnson?

Probably Johnson because Davis isn't ready to contribute much. I think he will get around 15 minutes a night just to get his feet wet, sort of like DeRozan last season. Johnson is a solid backup who has proven to be effective when he is able to stay on the court and out of foul trouble.

As the season goes on and the Raptors fall further and further out of the playoff picture I could see Davis getting an increase in minutes but those may come at the expense of Reggie Evans or David Andersen. He could also see a bump if they do end up trading away Evans towards the deadline.

Here is an update from Doug Smith. says at least another 2-3 weeks:

Ed Davis Update

(And not since the never-ending ‘When Will Reggie Be Back’ flood a year ago have we spent so much time dispensing little or not information)

Anyway, he did a little three-on-three yesterday that was about his first semi-serious work.

But if you’re looking at timeline, look way down the road.

The kid’s going to need more than a few practices to get up to even close to speed and with the way the schedule breaks down, there’s not a lot of time.

I’m guessing – big guess, too – that you’re looking at two, maybe three, weeks at the earliest.

And, yes, I’ll answer this again next week. Promise.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/11/working-hard-and-keep-the-streak-alive-no-not-that-one.html

This is who they are hoping will be able to take on Bosh's role of the past seasons in the next couple years. They drafted him hoping he could become a solid scorer in the paint, and a good rebounder. Let me re-phrase the Bosh part. They want him to be just as important to the team, and be able to score and rebound similar to what CB4 did. Granted, he probably will never reach that kind of player that Bosh was for the Raps, but he very well could turn into one of the better starting power forward in the league in my opinion, maybe even an All-Star game or two.

All that depends on how healthy he stays after he comes back, and also how hard he works to improve his game. As of right now, if he doesn't take things seriously, and he stays happy with what his game is like right now, then he'll have issues in the future. However, if he does work hard, then I could see a very bright future for Ed Davis in Toronto. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the team when he returns.

Hopefully he can just be a solid big man. I have heard Al Horford's name thrown around, and if that is what we get out of him, I would be extremely happy. Though, it seems like he has instincts to be a better defender than Horford, but maybe that is just me.

I love the blocks though. I wished he would have been good to go, it would have been nice to get this roughness out of the way early, he is going to be a major work in progress.

I think it might be a good idea to send him to the D-League for a week or two when he is ready to return. Let him ease his way back into game shape (clearly a week won't do it but it will help) because it has been a long time (Feburary) since he played in any meaningful game action. I think it might help him out a bit if the Raptors did something like that.

I don’t think sending him to the dleague isn't always the best thing to do because you want him to be able to learn the system. He has missed the entire training camp so it going to take a lot of time to become accustomed to the NBA and his team’s system and that can only happen through practice as he gets comfortable he should slowly get playing team in games.

I don’t think sending him to the dleague isn't always the best thing to do because you want him to be able to learn the system. He has missed the entire training camp so it going to take a lot of time to become accustomed to the NBA and his team’s system and that can only happen through practice as he gets comfortable he should slowly get playing team in games.

I know that he missed training camp and needs to learn the system, which is why I don't think he should be sent down there for long. Just a week or two so that he can get his legs under him considering he hasn't played in a meaningful game since he broke his wrist in Feburary. Then he can come back to the NBA team and not worry so much about his conditioning, which still won't be at an ideal level but at least he won't be sucking air all of the time, and focus on learning the system.