Horford Extension Coming Down to the Wire; Deal Finalized?

The Hawks and center Al Horford appear to be prepared to discuss a contract extension right up until the Nov. 1 deadline.

Horford said the Hawks and agent Arn Tellem, who have been in discussions for nearly a month, are set to meet at the end of the week.

If no deal is reached by Monday, Horford will become a restricted free agent next summer.

"I kind of have thought this all along, but I think it really is going to come down to the last day," Horford said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/horford-contract-extension-talks-692045.html

What do you think the hold up is with a Horford extension? Do you think it is money, years or something like that? Or is it possible that Horford may not want to sign an extension with Atlanta?

I actually think it is pretty interesting that he hasn't received an extension yet. I know that only two players from the 07 draft class have gotten extensions (Durant and Noah) but I figured that Horford would've been extended a while ago.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I'm not really sure what the hold up could be, but I really hope he becomes a free agent.

As a Pacers fan, we'll have some cap space after this season, and we need a power forward very badly. Horford would be that star, but not top tier level that could actually sign a contract in Indiana. If he doesn't reach an agreement with the Hawks, then I see Larry Bird going very hard after him in free agency, which would be a Godsend for us Pacers fans. It would really re-juvinate the city even more than the Darren Collison trade did.

I think the fact that they paid Joe Johnson so much this off-season is making the Hawk's management/front office hesistant about giving Horford an extension. Horford is probably asking for a lot of money, maybe even almost near a max contract, so that might be a contributing factor making the Hawk's nervous about offering him a contract.

No deal has been reached yet.

The Hawks and center Al Horford continue to discuss a possible contract.

Monday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline for contract extensions looms and Horford appears to be the most likely candidate remaining to receive a deal.

One source close to the negotiations told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Sunday that the parties "are still talking" and says a deal -- rated as "probable" by another source last week -- is a "50-50" shot at this point.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69867/20101031/hawks_horford_still_talking_extension/#ixzz13zkLyfGu

Sounds like a deal will be reached before the deadline, though.

How much do you think he will get, assuming he does in fact sign an extension?

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears

Hawks center Al Horford will receive a contract extension, a source tells Yahoo! Sports. More details to come.

Sounds like a deal will be finalized before the deadline tonight.

If I had to guess, I'll say the contract will something along the lines of 5 years, $55M. I think Horford wouldn't sign an extension for any less than that with the belief that if he were to make it to free agency he wouldn't get anything less than $10M a season.

Great job by the Hawks getting this deal done. It was coming down to the wire, but they decided to give him the money and get the deal done. Horford is a huge part of their team, and adding him back long-term is huge for them. If they had let him walk, they would have had major issues in the frontcourt unless they were able to sign another big-named player, but they lock Horford up long-term.

Definitely disappointed me to see as I was hoping he would be an Indiana Pacer, but as an NBA fan, I know that the Hawks did a great job for their franchise by locking him up. I never really had a doubt that he would end up back in Atlanta, but for Pacers fans this is disappointing.