Rockets may reevaluate Yao's 24 minute limit rule in December

Dash

I think most of us would have wonder about if Yao wasn't going to foul out, was Adelman going to pull him out of the game against the Lakers in an important situation?

Clearly they need him, so it's good that they re-evaluate him later when his conditioning become better.

It's definitely a good idea for Houston. Yao knows his body better than anyone else does...why not let him decide when he's in pain? Coming off a serious injury, he isn't going to hide it if he's starting to wear down, but judging from the way that Lakers-Rockets game was going, if Yao hadn't fouled out, they would have had to talk it over right there whether to pull him at 24 minutes or let him play some more. Definitely a good decision to discuss extending his minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Rockets Discussing Ways to Increase Yao's Minutes

Encouraged by the progress he has made in his recovery, the Rockets are reportedly discussing ways they can increase Yao Ming's minutes going forward.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/848.jpg

Nothing has been officially announced, but the next steps could involve Yao being cleared to play more than 24 minutes and potentially playing back-to-back games. However, before Yao's fantasy owners get too excited, it needs to be noted that it's unclear when the Rockets plan to implement their plan. One Associated Press report indicates that Houston won't allow Yao to play back-to-back games until January. But with the team off to a slow start, we wouldn't be surprised to see the Rockets speed up their timetable.

rotoworld

Sounds like they are considering upping his minutes. Not surprising considering the fact that he's been playing very good basketball and they play much better when he's in the game. I think they should let Yao decide when his body needs a rest. Personally, I think he won't risk getting hurt like that again, because #1, it keeps him out of basketball for a long time, and #2 because he doesn't want to go through that kind of pain again. If they let him play, and him tell them when he's feeling either too tired, or in pain, then I think that could be a very good way to give him the number of minutes he can play, but not play him too much. Maybe that's just me, but that sounds like a smart move in my opinion.

Thoughts?