How Much Does Homecourt Help?

The Lone Granger

When I was watching ESPN last night, this question came up and it was an interesting thought. They were talking about how the Utah Jazz are usually awful on the road, but when they're at home they are one of the hardest teams to beat. At home, you have the crowd noise in your favor which can cause a spark, and also your used to practicing on the courts there so maybe you have the rims figured out? I'm not sure what everyone thinks the advantages are to playing at home. In my opinion, the main reason that homecourt is so important is that your in a friendly atmosphere with friendly fans cheering you on to win. Maybe that's just me, but I want to get your guys' opinions on this topic.

Thoughts?

I'll add my opinion after a few replies.

• Owner

Well...in the NBA Finals, the home team is 20-6 (26 series) since the 2-3-2 format was put into play (1985). There have been four seven-game series, and the home team has won all four.

That's also dipping into the assumption that home court advantage in the Finals isn't actually an advantage...but, as you can see, it is.

The reason behind it is unconfirmed (obviously), probably because the crowd is behind you? Its having an army behind you.

Also I'd like to mention that a few years ago, specifically the 04-05 season, the Rockets were one of the best road teams, I looked forward to road games more than home games. T-Mac also was one of the best road players ever, I dont know what it is about him but he was always better on the road.

The crowd plays the biggest factor imo. They cheer you on and motivate you when you're down (or up). They give you energy while also trying to distract the other team. It may sound simple, but its fairly effective, especially for a young team in a playoff game.

Then also you've got the familiarity with the court, surroundings, location... the comfort factor. But overall, I think the crowd is the biggest factor.

Just watch the games in Oklahoma City or game 7 of the 2002 WCF in Sacramento to figure that out ... that has to boost the home team and have an impact on the road team slightly.

Yeah as most people said I think that the most important factor is the crowd as well. Although as ABL mentioned familiarity with the court is very important, almost as important as the crowd in fact. I used to know someone who, even if he wasn't a pro, was a high level basketball player and he told me once that the familiarity with the court was an important factor when you play at a higher level.

Besides when Jordan came back in 95 it took him some time to adapt to the United Center, which wasn't clearly as comfortable as the Chicago Stadium for him... Not only he wasn't familiar with it but the rings were too rigid. I even remember that he asked to remove them as replace them with the Chicago Stadium once lol...

But to be honest I got the feeling that people tend to overrate homecourt advantage sometimes at the same time. It is true that in the playoffs series the team that has the homecourt advantage wins most of the time but we have to consider that the team that has this advantage had to earn it during the regular season by having a better record than the other team. And that it is so usually a better team. Therefore it is in fact pretty logical that this team wins most of the time, homecourt or not...

Besides I remember the 1995 Spurs vs Rockets (either the WCF or the second round, ain't sure...), as a matter of fact in this series the away team won every game. Until game 6 when the Rockets won at home and won the series. So it shows that it's not that important...

So in short I agree that homecourt is important, that it is an advantage indeed, but not a big one, it is important, but not THAT important IMO.

To go along with what the others have said there is a comfort factor when at home. Your not arriving at 1 or 2 am to go to a hotel room. You dont have to take a team bus to get to the arena. You get to come in and shoot around the gym you have practiced on the most. You got thousands of fans cheering for you. Little things like this factor in and eventually makes a big difference in keeping them mentally prepared. Also, I am sure that it is the reason why some players are superstitious