Dampier to Houston?

Houston has been just one of many teams interested in signing free agent center Erick Dampier, and HOOPSWORLD has learned that they are now going to ultimately win his services. The former Dallas Mavericks center has been pursued by a number of team, including the Miami HEAT, Milwaukee Bucks, Portland Trail Blazers and Phoenix Suns, but the Rockets offered the best financial package, as well as a shot at being a part of a potentially-contending team.

The situation for the Rockets, of course, is tenuous at best when it comes to the center position. Yao Ming is easing his way back into the lineup after missing an entire season with a broken foot. His minutes are limited and he isn't able to play in back-to-back games, meaning the Rockets have only Brad Miller and Jordan Hill on nights when Yao is unavailable. Miller was an excellent offseason addition and is certainly a capable starter, but he can't play 48 minutes a night and if he were to get hurt the Rockets would really be in trouble.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17747#ixzz13ifAkkWr

I know that Hoopsworld isn't exactly the most reliable site, but Bill Ingram has broke a couple of stories before. Also, it makes sense that Houston would want Dampier and Dampier would want to go to Houston with the whole Yao situation opening up playing time for him while still beeing on a probably playoff team.

I thought the Rockets were quite comfortable with Chuck Hayes as their 3rd center and starting like he did against the Warriors yesterday. They still got Jordan Hill and Patterson who are long enough to cover for Hayes' height disadvantage so I don't see the need for Dampier.

Our long national ... apathy may finally be over. Hoopsworld is reporting that Erick Dampier has made his decision, many moons after "The Decision", and will join the Houston Rockets as a backup center. The Rockets are at 15 players, so there will have to be cut to make room for him, likely Ishmael Smith. Smith may wind up in the Rockets' D-League affiliate Rio Grande Valley Vipers who they use quite a bit.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/25543605

It seems like it's a done deal for the most part. I really like the signing, with Yao not playing back to backs and on a time limit for minutes Dampier will be used quite a bit.

Brad Miller had some nice offensive moments against the Lakers, moving him to the high post and letting him make the passes Adelman loves was great but on the other end Pau Gasol ABUSED him in every way possible.

Morey made it clear earlier in the year that Patterson will take time before he gets any significant minutes and it seems like for now Jordan Hill is in the dog house because Adelman decided to go with Jefferies over Hill at certain points of the Warriors game.

Dampier's big body is exactly what's needed in the paint, the Rockets are just getting owned at certain points on the boards, having Dampier at least adds some height and rebounding. I am still waiting on Hill and thought he would fill that void, but we haven't seen him play a minute yet.

I like the acquisition the more bigs the better IMO, the defense at both the center and point guard position have been terrible seeing Dampier and Lowry fill those holes would be nice.

• Like 1

Rockets most likely to move Jermaine Taylor to make room for Erick Dampier. Deals not likely to be completed for several days. #hounews

Sucks that we'll probably be moving Taylor, he could easily crack the rotations of several other teams but there just isn't room for him here. I hope we can get a 2nd rounder or two out of him in a trade.

Big move for the Rockets here. They've been looking fairly depleted on the defensive side of the ball from their bigs (Brad Miller), but the addition of Dampier will bring that defense back. With Ming having to play just 24 minutes, and not in one game of a back-to-back, they definitely need more depth up in the frontcourt. Great move for Houston.

The Houston Rockets have a roster move to make after signing free agent center Erick Dampier earlier this week and sources close to the situation say that Jermaine Taylor will likely be the odd man out.

The team must release or trade one of their players as they trim their roster down to fifteen and a move involving Taylor is expected in the coming days. The Rockets were expected to waive Ishmael Smith, but the team wants to hold onto the rookie guard after he had an impressive training camp and preseason.

Houston originally wanted to waive Taylor and have him sign with the organization's NBA Development League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. But after gauging interest around the league, it was clear that another team would have signed the second-year player off of waivers.

Now, the Rockets have reportedly turned their attention to trading Taylor and sources say that thirteen teams have expressed interest in the shooting guard. The Orlando Magic, Washington Wizards and Miami HEAT are among the teams interested in acquiring Taylor, according to a source close to the situation.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17769#ixzz140G2kf1Y

Edited by Dash

I don't think that works unless they cut him so the Rockets are trying to get something out of him. Personally I think its a mistake to get rid of Taylor and Houston will later end up regretting it. Houston would now have 8 centers and power forwards with the Dampier signing, I don't see why we can't get rid of one of them.

Patterson and Hill are highly rated, Chuck Hayes is a coach' favorite, Jared Jefferies still got a big, fat contract, Scola, Yao and Miller are definitely staying so...it would be tough to trade any of the first 4.

Can't they assign him to a D-League team?

That doesn't free up a roster spot. When you send a player to the D-League he still takes up a roster spot on your NBA team.

As for Dampier, honestly, I'd like to see no team sign him. He sounds like a complete drama queen right now. He played this waiting game for so long to avoid the preseason or training camp, doesn't want to settle for a minimum contract and wants to go to a team where he is guaranteed minutes, if not being the starter.

He isn't nearly good enough to play all of these games that he has been playing. I hope nobody signs him this season.