Heat Looking to Acquire a Point Guard?

Built Ford Tough

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher is reporting that Heat president Pat Riley may try to trade for a point guard in December.

On Dec. 15 most of the free agents that signed contracts this summer will become eligible in trades.

"Two different team executives said they expect the Heat to dangle $3 million and second-year PG Mario Chalmers to a lottery-bound team looking to shed the long-term contract of a mid-priced spot-up shooting PG," Bucher writes.

"Riley's objective is to find another shooter to space the floor, a la BJ Armstrong or John Paxson in their Chicago days playing alongside Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen."

Bucher lists Jarrett Jack and Daniel Gibson as options.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69847/20101030/heat_may_try_to_trade_for_pg/#ixzz13sm7Aztn

Gibson would be a nice fit considering he is so much more effective as a spot up shooter and not having to create off of the bounce for himself. He can be a bit inconsistent with his shot, but when he is on, he has shown the ability to have big games from deep. With him, House, Jones and Miller, when he returns, I would expect that at least one of them would be able to knock down open looks night in and night out.

As for Jack, I understand the interest, but if they are primarily looking for a point who is a spot up shooter, I don't know if he would be the best option considering he isn't exactly the most reliable spot up shooter. He is capable of filling that role, as he showed last season, but it isn't a role that he is best suited for like Gibson.

Also, I can't see the Raptors being too interested in a Jack for Chalmers and cash trade, considering they have no need for cash with MLSE being so wealthy. I doubt they are too interested in Chalmers either, at least judging from the whole Bosh S&T situation in the summer.

I don't see how a trade gets done, though, considering the Heat have no cap space, no prospects, not draft picks and basically nothing of value to offer any of these teams. I also can't see Toronto and Cleveland chomping at the bits to make the Heat an even better team after this past summer.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

At this point and time do we really think either the raptors or the cavaliers would be willing to be a trade partner for the heat?

Daniel Gibson in my mind is not your customary point guard but he is more than capable of being a spot up shooter. The fact they don’t have Miller is why they’re looking for a spot up shooter.

Delonte West is making a million this season, and he can run the point. With the current troubles he's having in Boston with Wafer, he should be on the block.

Does Pat really want a guy who is going to get into fights with his teammates? Personally I don't think so. I don't think most teams are willing to take on that headace.

I'm going to throw a very unknown name into the discussion. What about a guy in Indiana named A.J. Price?

First, he is a very good spot up shooter, and doesn't really like to create his own shot. He's a good passer, so he could run the point if the Heat needed him. All that being said, another factor in this, is that the Pacers probably would have interest in Chalmers, and may also flip a 2nd round pick for some cash considering their need for a bigger named free agent this offseason.

Just throwing that name out there, not sure if you guys even know anything about him, but if you don't you should look up some video clips of him. Just a thought ;).

Delonte West is making a million this season, and he can run the point. With the current troubles he's having in Boston with Wafer, he should be on the block.

Danny Ainge has already stated they will not trade or release Delonte West as of now. And when West is done serving the suspension Wafer is expect to move down the bench while West is moved into the rotation.