Solomon Alabi is going the D leauge?

headliner

Speaking of the D League, I keep hearing that Solomon Alabi is going to spend at least a little bit of time there once its season gets going.

The Star

Considering he is a second round pick I think instead of wasting away on the bench it will be valuable to him and his development to be playing in the D League.

Do you think it's worth sending him to the D league?

Why not? For young players it's crucial that they get confidence early in their career, and if that's just by sending them down to the D-League so they can play good minutes then that's something you have to do. He's got potential, so why not see if you can't get it out of him?

Good he needs the playing time. His offense is so raw, with some games under his belt with the D-League can only help. He won't be getting anytime with Andrea, Evans, Amir, Joey,and Anderson in front of him.

Don't forget Davis when he returns will be getting at least 15 minutes a night as well.

Also, it isn't his offense that is raw, it is his entire game at this point. He definitely has defensive potential, but he is still absurdly raw on that end of the court as well.

Does this really surprise anybody? I think it was a given that he would be sent to the D-League from the moment he was drafted as it is pretty clear he is not capable of contributing anything other than fouls at this point in his development. I think every Raptor fan knew that he would be spending some time in the D-League this season, the only question was how much time he would spend there.

Personally, I say let him play out an entire D-League season. If the Raptors front court get his hard by injuries then call him up, but otherwise I think it would be most beneficial for his development to spend as much time in the D-League as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Alabi, along with Davis, sound like they will be going to the Erie Bayhawks, at least according to Doug Smith (which means they probably won't be going anywhere).

Solomon Alabi and Ed Davis are with the team today but not for long, I’m told.

I think you’ll see Alabi assigned to Erie of the D League the first of the week so he can go down there and get some practice and game work with the Bayhawks.

And I’m told Davis may get some time down in the minors in the next little while (maybe a week or so away) to get some game work in as he comes back from knee surgery.

I guess both moves make sense, although I do think each of the young bigs would benefit almost as much from practicing against NBA guys than playing in a guard-oriented minor league, but as long as they’re not gone long, there’s no big problem.

The Davis move is the one I’m sure you’re most interested in, given the daily questions I get about his return.

Glancing at the Erie schedule, they play at home the 19th and 20th and then away the 26th and 28th so you’re logically looking at Davis getting back with the Raptors sometime after the 28th and – maybe – being in an NBA uniform for the Dec. 1 home game against the Wizards.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/11/theres-nowhere-like-erie-in-the-fall-and-other-fun-items.html

And it is official, Alabi is going to the D-League:

The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have assigned rookie centre Solomon Alabi to the Erie BayHawks of the NBA Development League. Alabi will continue to be included on the Raptors’ roster and will be placed on the team’s inactive list.

Alabi, 22, made his Raptors debut Saturday at Miami, going scoreless in eighteen seconds of action. He participated in five preseason contests, totaling 10 points and five rebounds in 24 minutes. He played for the Raptors’ entry in the 2010 Las Vegas Summer League where he averaged 8.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 18 minutes in five games. He shot .565 (13-23) from the field and .938 (15-16) from the foul line.

A native of Nigeria, Alabi, was named All-ACC Defensive Team in his two full seasons at FSU. He started all 67 games, leading the Seminoles to the NCAA Tournament twice and the ACC Tournament Championship Game as a redshirt freshman. He averaged a school record 2.1 blocked shots per game for his career. He also shot .534 per cent from the field in his two-plus seasons with the Seminoles.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/alabi_dleague_111510