Pacers Will Run Offense Through Hibbert

The Pacers will run their offense through improving big man Roy Hibbert this season.

Hibbert has shown an improved ability to read defenses through this season's first three games.

"When I'm in the post, (assistant coach) Vitaly (Potapenko) tells me to take my time, see how the defense is playing and find the open man," Hibbert said.

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Hibbert_Roy_ind.jpg

"So I'm going to let the defense come to me and then I'll find the open guy or make a move to the basket."

Indiana coach Jim O'Brien wants his offense to go through Hibbert in the post, but he also plans to run the passing game, which involves a lot of moving and cutting to the basket.

"I've repeatedly said we're going to play through Roy and that's because he's a unique big man," O'Brien said. "He's effective in the low post. He can spot up and shoot and he's also a terrific passer and willing passer. Our guys know that.

"When you have a big guy who is going to have his hands on the ball a lot, you know if your guy turns his head, cut to the basket and he'll get you the basketball. That's a great weapon."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69876/20101101/pacers_will_run_offense_through_hibbert/

I am absolutely loving the way our offense has looked running it through Roy. He's making smart decisions, and not only putting the ball in the basket, but he's making good passes, and most importantly moving without the ball. When any offense gets stagnant, it sucks, but when your players (especially your big men) move without the ball, it increases your looks at the bucket increase a ton. That being said, the best play I've seen us run is a pass from Dunleavy to the top of the key to Hibbert, and then a back door cut around Roy, and then Hibbert tossing a pass over the defense for a Dunleavy layup. It's worked every single time we've run it. I definitely want to keep throwing the ball to Hibbert until teams prove they can stop it effectively.

Thoughts?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69876/20101101/pacers_will_run_offense_through_hibbert/

I am absolutely loving the way our offense has looked running it through Roy. He's making smart decisions, and not only putting the ball in the basket, but he's making good passes, and most importantly moving without the ball. When any offense gets stagnant, it sucks, but when your players (especially your big men) move without the ball, it increases your looks at the bucket increase a ton. That being said, the best play I've seen us run is a pass from Dunleavy to the top of the key to Hibbert, and then a back door cut around Roy, and then Hibbert tossing a pass over the defense for a Dunleavy layup. It's worked every single time we've run it. I definitely want to keep throwing the ball to Hibbert until teams prove they can stop it effectively.

Thoughts?

i saw the exact play you are talking about. im not sure who the defender was.. but when first thrown i thought it was a for sure deflection or overthrown ball.. but it was a perfect pass to Dunleavy who easily converted the layup. it will be extremely beneficial for the Pacers if Hibbert is able to constantly get the rest of his teammates good/easy looks at the basket by passing to cutters... especially when the 3 ball isn't falling.

• Owner

The better he gets in the post, the more the Pacers want to run that offense through him. He needs to tell himself, "I'm going to do everything possible to model my game after Hakeem Olajuwon." He's definitely not going to touch what Hakeem accomplished, skill-wise, but he can be versatile enough (at the five) to be great for his team on both ends of the floor.

The better he gets in the post, the more the Pacers want to run that offense through him. He needs to tell himself, "I'm going to do everything possible to model my game after Hakeem Olajuwon." He's definitely not going to touch what Hakeem accomplished, skill-wise, but he can be versatile enough (at the five) to be great for his team on both ends of the floor.

Great post man!

Hibbert is nowhere close to the talent level that Olajuwon had, but I like the idea. He's got the same kind of body style to perform similar to his game. If he becomes better with his post moves, and quicker with them as well then he will be unstoppable. As it is, he has great moves, but because he's not a lot quicker than his opponents, he has to force shots over guys. While they do usually go in, he still could use the quickness to get wide open looks.

I like the idea RD, good post.

It's a sound idea. I think it accomplishes two important things...

1) It gives Hibbert the chance to really develop his all-around game, and will give him the usage and responsibility of being the focal point of the offense. With his size, post skills and passing skills, the only thing keeping him back is the coach giving him the keys to the car. Now that he has that green light, he has the chance to learn how to utilize those skills while taking 12-13+ shots and facing defenses that are geared to stop him. That is really the first big step in becoming a star player and #1 option.

2) It allows Danny Granger to play off-ball more, where he is most effective/efficient. Giving Granger the oppertunity to play off someone and not have to create as many shots for himself is exactly what the doctor ordered. The last few seasons his efficiency has plummeted, and the one parallell has been the number of shots he's been assisted on has dropped as well. Making Hibbert the focal point of the offense (and the addition of Collison) will take a ton of defensive pressure off him, and he can slip into a role that he's much more suited to be in.

BTW, how has Darren Collison looked so far? I haven't seen any Pacer games this season, but from what I gather he has been a bit of a dissapointment the first few games.

It's a sound idea. I think it accomplishes two important things...

1) It gives Hibbert the chance to really develop his all-around game, and will give him the usage and responsibility of being the focal point of the offense. With his size, post skills and passing skills, the only thing keeping him back is the coach giving him the keys to the car. Now that he has that green light, he has the chance to learn how to utilize those skills while taking 12-13+ shots and facing defenses that are geared to stop him. That is really the first big step in becoming a star player and #1 option.

2) It allows Danny Granger to play off-ball more, where he is most effective/efficient. Giving Granger the oppertunity to play off someone and not have to create as many shots for himself is exactly what the doctor ordered. The last few seasons his efficiency has plummeted, and the one parallell has been the number of shots he's been assisted on has dropped as well. Making Hibbert the focal point of the offense (and the addition of Collison) will take a ton of defensive pressure off him, and he can slip into a role that he's much more suited to be in.

BTW, how has Darren Collison looked so far? I haven't seen any Pacer games this season, but from what I gather he has been a bit of a dissapointment the first few games.

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/18501-darren-collison-bringing-the-poster-to-lou-williams/

Look at that thread to see a Collison highlite. He hasn't been disappointing at all in my opinion, he's just having to share a lot of time with T.J. Ford for some reason. O'Brien isn't letting him stay in there for too long at once, so his stats aren't really showing what he's done for this team. When he's in the game he's a good scorer (13.7 per game), and he's also dishing the ball and setting up the offense very well also. Defensively we haven't seen anything like him from our point guards in recent history. He's getting his hands in the passing lane, and playing great on-ball defense as well. He's been just exactly what we expected, minus some minutes from O'Brien.