Josh Smith: Odd Man Out?

After signing center Al Horford to a contract extension on Monday, many around the league believe that the Hawks will make forward Josh Smith available via trade at midseason.

Horford's new deal won't push Atlanta into luxury tax territory, but they are unlikely to be able to afford either a new deal for Jamal Crawford or a similar-salaried player.

A number of teams, including the Knicks, Nets, Pistons and Suns, have shown interest in Smith in the past.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69896/20101102/payroll_could_mean_hawks_will_shop_smith/#ixzz149FV5sFm

This doesn't surprise me at all. Once they gave Johnson that contract in the summer, you knew that there would be no way the Hawks would be able to keep their core together considering all of them would want raises over their current deals. Somebody was bound to be the odd man out and with Horford being locked up to a long term extension, their hands are going to be tied.

Smith could probably get you a pretty nice return so it may be wise to move him if you get an offer that you simply can't refuse.

After signing center Al Horford to a contract extension on Monday, many around the league believe that the Hawks will make forward Josh Smith available via trade at midseason.

Horford's new deal won't push Atlanta into luxury tax territory, but they are unlikely to be able to afford either a new deal for Jamal Crawford or a similar-salaried player.

A number of teams, including the Knicks, Nets, Pistons and Suns, have shown interest in Smith in the past.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69896/20101102/payroll_could_mean_hawks_will_shop_smith/

I remember back when it looked like Smith to the Pistons was a done deal. They definitely need to show some interest again this time around if he is indeed put on the block. They could use an athletic big in the front court for them that can also play defense. The other team that I'd love to see acquire him would be the Phoenix Suns. With Amare leaving, they are kind of needing an athletic, defensive big that can also put the ball in the bucket. Acquiring Smith would really help fill that void left by Amare. What other teams do you guys see being interested in acquiring Josh Smith?

Thoughts?

It's going to be sad to see him go because he was one of my favorites but if we can get good value it wouldnt be a horrible loss. If we could somehow involve him in a deal for Melo it would be great but I wouldnt be unhappy with a good center like Marc Gasol so we could move Al back to Power Forward. People are pretty high on Josh right now so I am sure we can work something good up

I remember back when it looked like Smith to the Pistons was a done deal. They definitely need to show some interest again this time around if he is indeed put on the block. They could use an athletic big in the front court for them that can also play defense. The other team that I'd love to see acquire him would be the Phoenix Suns. With Amare leaving, they are kind of needing an athletic, defensive big that can also put the ball in the bucket. Acquiring Smith would really help fill that void left by Amare. What other teams do you guys see being interested in acquiring Josh Smith?

I think Memphis would be a great suitor. They have Randolph's huge $17M expiring contract which would definitely be enticing to the Hawks, and Smith would really fit in with that team and give them some much needed defense at the PF position. To make the deal work a third party might need to be involved, but the foundation of that deal would really benefit both teams IMO.

It's going to be sad to see him go because he was one of my favorites but if we can get good value it wouldnt be a horrible loss. If we could somehow involve him in a deal for Melo it would be great but I wouldnt be unhappy with a good center like Marc Gasol so we could move Al back to Power Forward. People are pretty high on Josh right now so I am sure we can work something good up

If Smith is moved, it would be because of salary reasons, so I highly doubt that they would move him for somebody like Marc Gasol or Melo considering the fact that both of those players are free agents after this season and will be looking at contracts of $10M and a max respectively.

Plus, there is the fact that I don't think Melo would ever ok a trade to Atlanta, so I can't see the Hawks ever trading Smith for half a season of Melo.

As a complete homer, I'll say Smith to Toronto for their TPE, Reggie Evans and Sonny Weems/Leandro Barbosa. Clears their financial problems, get a gritty rebounder in Evans who will do the dirty work for them, a cheap asset in Weems or an energet spark plug off of the bench in Barbosa.

Not that I can ever see this happening, but I can dream.

On a more serious note, I like what Nitro said about Memphis. They were the first team that came to my mind when reading this and, like you, I thought of Randolph as well. I'm not sure how close to the tax the Hawks are so I'm not sure if he would put them over it or not, but it would give them a bonafide post scorer to compliment their perimeter oriented iso game.

Phoenix would be a nice fit, but they wouldn't have anything of value to offer the Hawks so I don't see a deal getting done there.

If Smith is moved, it would be because of salary reasons, so I highly doubt that they would move him for somebody like Marc Gasol or Melo considering the fact that both of those players are free agents after this season and will be looking at contracts of $10M and a max respectively.

Plus, there is the fact that I don't think Melo would ever ok a trade to Atlanta, so I can't see the Hawks ever trading Smith for half a season of Melo.

As a complete homer, I'll say Smith to Toronto for their TPE, Reggie Evans and Sonny Weems/Leandro Barbosa. Clears their financial problems, get a gritty rebounder in Evans who will do the dirty work for them, a cheap asset in Weems or an energet spark plug off of the bench in Barbosa.

Not that I can ever see this happening, but I can dream.

On a more serious note, I like what Nitro said about Memphis. They were the first team that came to my mind when reading this and, like you, I thought of Randolph as well. I'm not sure how close to the tax the Hawks are so I'm not sure if he would put them over it or not, but it would give them a bonafide post scorer to compliment their perimeter oriented iso game.

Phoenix would be a nice fit, but they wouldn't have anything of value to offer the Hawks so I don't see a deal getting done there.

I would hate that trade with Toronto haha. Josh Smith has much more potential than all of those players combined. Randloph might be a better offer but he isnt very good defensively which would hurt us but he would compliment our team and help us on the board A LOT

Rotoworld was reporting an interesting rumor about a Kevin Love-Josh Smith trade. Again, just pure speculation. I'm not too familiar with Kevin Love, but I just can't see the Hawks moving Josh Smith without getting a quality defensive center in return.

Edited by Cobb

Josh Smith: Trade Rumors Out Of My Control

With the Hawks deeply committed financially to their core players, there has been speculation that they could trade Josh Smith.

Atlanta, after signing Al Horford to an extension, has large contracts to Joe Johnson, Smith and Marvin Williams.

"I don't care (about the trade rumors)," Smith said to Hoopsworld's Lang Greene. "I just go out there and play the game. I really don't look at what people are saying in the media. People tend to create their own stories up. Then everybody else who reads it takes it from there. They can copy and print it, then make it their own story too. So I just play and not worry about anything. If they (Hawks management) want to do it, they'll do it."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69925/20101104/josh_smith_trade_rumors_out_of_my_control/

Like he says, he can't change things, so why not just go out there and play basketball? They definitely need him to focus on playing, and improve that already impressive 5-0 record. In my opinion, if they keep playing the way that they have been, you won't see them making a trade involving him this year. They seem like a Championship contending team right now, and they wont' mess that chemistry up.

Thoughts?

Josh Smith: Trade Rumors Out Of My Control

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69925/20101104/josh_smith_trade_rumors_out_of_my_control/

Like he says, he can't change things, so why not just go out there and play basketball? They definitely need him to focus on playing, and improve that already impressive 5-0 record. In my opinion, if they keep playing the way that they have been, you won't see them making a trade involving him this year. They seem like a Championship contending team right now, and they wont' mess that chemistry up.

Thoughts?

there is no reason for them to trade him this year or next year... they have him locked up longer than the Hornets have Chris Paul locked up.

they have a core of johnson, horford, smith, williams zaza teague and j. crawford locked up until the end of the 2012-2013 season...

Edited by N.1.A.K.

there is no reason for them to trade him this year or next year... they have him locked up longer than the Hornets have Chris Paul locked up.

they have a core of johnson, horford, smith, williams zaza teague and j. crawford locked up until the end of the 2012-2013 season...

The thing is that Crawford is not locked up, and as it is the Hawks are already $11M over the cap. Horford's salary after this season is going to jump up a few million, Johnson's contract will keep increasing over the next few seasons, etc... From a basketball standpoint of course it is smart to keep Smith, but financially it might not make sense.

It started with Chard Ford’s ESPN.com blog post, which he based on league GMs looking at Atlanta’s roster and speculating that ASG can’t afford to keep Josh, J.J., Al, and Marvin together after this season (Rick Sund said he never heard from Ford).

That led to more speculation but still not much in the way of hard news. And as these things tend to go, the secondhand speculation aspect of the original “story” gets lost and suddenly the rumor is the Hawks are looking to move Smoove. (Rule of thumb in these cases: Beware the question mark headline.)

It’s not true. Sund didn’t want to comment on the rumors, which is his usual policy, but Smoove confirmed that team management reassured him he’s not on the trading block.

ajc.com

It's good that the Hawks have reassured him that he is not on the trading block because it allows him to focus on the job at hand which is win games. Trade rumors tend to become a distraction and could ultimately hurt a players game. In this case it wouldn't make sense to trade him at this present time.

Definitely good to see that he isn't on the block. With the way he's been playing for the Hawks this year, it would just be wrong to trade him. Smith has a long future with the Hawks if he keeps playing the way he has been. Great start to the season, and also good to see the Hawks clearing the air about this as well.