Brooks Not Fretting Over Lack of Extension

htown11

The deadline for players selected in the 2007 first round to receive contract extensions passed Monday without guard Aaron Brooks receiving an extension offer from the Rockets.

Brooks, 25, had expressed his frustration with going into the last season of his contract during training camp but said Monday that he has accepted the franchise's position.

"We talked about it," Brooks said. "They explained their reasoning. I'm cool with that. I'll move on."

Only three players — Kevin Durant, Joakim Noah and Al Horford - from the 2007 first round have received contract extensions. But Brooks said that does not make him feel better about his situation because he hasn't given it any thought since the meetings in Austin.

"I'll just leave it alone," Brooks said. "There's nothing you can do about it. It's over. We have a season to play."

Definitely a distraction for him, after being the MIP player I am sure he would expect some job security. Either way the Rockets have some decision to make, Lowry is sealed up nicely what will they do with Brooks?

Defensively Brooks has been awful, and people still lean towards Lowry being the better fit for defense and running the team, I am sure the Rockets love Aaron's scoring abilities but would love to see the guy try on defense and make better decisions as a general on the court.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7274309.html

Aaron does one of the four things you want from a point guard. The four qualities being offensive and defensive abilities, decision making and leadership. Obviously Aaron can score but he hasn't develop any of the other 3, which is why the Rockets haven't given him an extension because there are still questions around him and they want to see what he can do as 'the man' at point guard on a championship caliber team for a full season. Honestly Brooks shouldn't have even expected an extension with the way he's played.

A contract extension will get done at some point, there is no doubt about that in my opinion. Brooks is a huge part of this team, and both sides decided that it would be best to just wait until the end of the season. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. It doesn't sound like he's worried about it, and I can promise you that the Rockets will not let him walk in free agency. So what if Lowry is looking like the more solid defender right now, Brooks will pick his game up, we're not even a quarter of the way through the season. Don't worry Houston fans, Aaron Brooks will be a Rocket for a long time to come.