Wizards Want Blatche In Post More

Wizards forward Andray Blatche has been settling for too many jumpers and the team wants him to focus on playing in the post more often.

Washington is shooting just 43.5% from the field through the first week of the season because they are taking high-percentage shots.

The Wizards really need him get his "big butt down there," coach Flip Saunders said of Blatche.

Blatche is 5-for-20 from beyond 10 feet this season and 6-for-8 from inside that range.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/11/andray-blatche-focused-on-gett.html

I just don't understand why big men constantly fall in love with their jumpers when they don't have a reliable one. When you shoot 5 of 20 from outside of 10 feet, that should be a clear indication that you need to get your [expletive] on the block, especially when you are the only player on the team who is capable of being a low post threat on offense.

This Washington team really needs an attitude change. I don't think that Saunders is the right coach for this team because the players seem to constantly walk all over him (and, well, he isn't a very good coach in the first place as far as I'm concerned).

Edited by Built Ford Tough

It's still a process though... We drafted 3 big men in order to toughen up the roster, so you know there's a change going on in Washington. Slowly and slowly the personnel is changing here, it's just a matter of time really.

Blatche showed us some good signs late last year, and I think is just struggling to find his niche with a completely different roster. We know he can get into the lane and play in the paint, he just hasn't shown us that in the 2 games he has played this season.

I think he'll get back into the niche that he found himself putting up good numbers in last year. Through two games, he's still getting used to having John Wall driving to the rim, and leading the team. Blatche is still a very young player as well, and while shooting that mid-range jumper is by far easier because defenses are willing to give that to him, I think the coaching staff will really work with him on understanding that getting to the rim is the way he's going to put up the numbers and help the team the most.

No need to worry for Wizards fans here. Blatche has become a very coachable player, and I think you'll see Flip Saunders start working with him more and more on playing in the post. He'll get it before too long.