Wade Phillips Fired

Real Deal

• Owner

Breaking news on ESPN.

He'll be replaced by Jason Garrett.

http://dallas.sbnation.com/dallas-cowboys/2010/11/8/1801667/report-wade-phillips-fired-jason-garrett-promoted-to-head-coach-of

Bill Jones of CBS 11 has reported via Twitter that Jerry Jones has in fact decided to fire Wade Phillips, after another debacle Sunday night in Green Bay. Phillips had led the Cowboys to a 1-7 record and had admitted this week that he had no answers for how to turn the team around.

Jason Garrett takes over as head coach, four years after behind hired as offensive coordinator prior to Phillips’ hiring, There had been speculation earlier in the day that defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni would be the best candidate as head coach because of his past as a head coach at Syracuse and his hard-nosed style. Garrett has been at the center of controversy for his play-calling and his handling of departed receivers Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton.

Garrett was a candidate for multiple coaching positions after a successful 2007 but passed on those opportunitties to stay in Dallas.

• Owner

I doubt Jones stays with Garrett, though. I have a feeling he's going to go out and do everything in his power to bring in Cowher or Gruden in the offseason. I'm not sure if Bill wants to dive into a coaching job this soon, but Gruden seems like he's really, really interested in coaching again.

Garrett may be worse, but at least with Wade gone we can bring someone else in to work with this defense. Obviously Wades schemes became completely predictable, Wade HAD to go. Garrett may not be the best, but he can score points and will win games if the defense is as it should.

BTW like Real said I expect Garrett to be gone @ seasons end too, I just think Jerry was tired of the week in week out "when will Wade Phillips be fired" question. Garrett will just finish out the season and be let go.

Edited by STATCity

It won't matter. The season is already over, and it's all the same coaching regime anyway..what difference does it make? Nothing besides image. Jones wanted to show that he is not throwing in the towel for fans.

http://i36.tinypic.com/343m1lf.gif

I'm interested in seeing what happens at the end of the season. Will Jerry Jones take a step back to relinquish some power to interest a John Gruden or Bill Cowher? Or will he stay with a guy like Garrett that he can control. My money is on the latter.

http://i36.tinypic.com/343m1lf.gif

I'm interested in seeing what happens at the end of the season. Will Jerry Jones take a step back to relinquish some power to interest a John Gruden or Bill Cowher? Or will he stay with a guy like Garrett that he can control. My money is on the latter.

That is the exact question I was thinking about. The reason Phillips stayed so long was because he did whatever JJ wanted him to do.

As for Garrett, like everyone says, he is worse, but at least it's a change of scenery in Dallas. If Jones does decide to get a new coach at the end of the year, then adding Dungy or Cowher would be a perfect fit for them in my opinion. Someone else to look at would be a Mike Holmgren type of guy who you know loves coaching and might have to think twice, or three times about coaching a team like the Cowboys. I agree with ABL though that Jones is not going to bring one of those great coaches in.

Why is Garrett worse? The offense has been productive in his tenure.

The offense should be productive it's got a top 5 QB, top 10 5 receiving core, top 10 RB core, should be the offense in the league. Yet Garretts game plans and play calling hold the offense back from reaching its full potential.

The offense should be productive it's got a top 5 QB, top 10 5 receiving core, top 10 RB core, should be the offense in the league. Yet Garretts game plans and play calling hold the offense back from reaching its full potential.

Idk...the team's offense has been pretty good all year with Romo. That wasn't the main issue. They were giving up 30 ppg.

Idk...the team's offense has been pretty good all year with Romo. That wasn't the main issue. They were giving up 30 ppg.

No they weren't they were actually a pretty solid defense until the Giants game.

@ Was - 13

Vs Chi - 27

@ Texans - 13

Vs Titans - 34

@ Minnesota - 24

thats what, 22 ppg? That's not great but it's about average

The offense was good, could move the ball, but drives stalled due to bad play calling once we reached the opponents side of the field.