What's Going Wrong in Houston?

I know it's still early, but this team should be better than what their record indicates. They have a stud power forward in Scola, Kevin Martin is a scoring machine, they have a great shut down defender in Battier. I know they are weak at the center position, Ming isn't the same player as he once was, and Miller is just old and can't really get the job done at this point.

Thoughts?

Source: Other Site

I would have to say that trading Ariza was a bad idea as well. He brought defense, and also was a decent scorer for them as well. Also, another thing that hasn't been happening is Aaron Brooks being a point guard this year. He hasn't been getting the ball moving, and the offense is stagnant. One other thing that I'm going to mention is toughness. They don't do anything strong from what I've seen. They are a finesse team right now, and they aren't going to win anything until they decide to get strong on defense, and on offense and just put their heads down and get a win. At least, that's what I see.

What do you guys think is up with Houston?

Repost from one of the gameday threads.

I loved the signings of Scola and Lowry at first too but then when I just sat back and looked at the roster there was something that didn't feel right to me. And once we traded Ariza my fears began to rise about our commitment to defense. Our struggles have NOTHING to do with our incapability to to run Rick Adelman's offense (Brooks, Martin and Scola have been brilliant offensively), but the lack of any presence defensively. No one is securing the paint and swatting shots (Hill and Yao have but are limited), no one is stopping the Kobe's and Carmelo's from dropping 30+ points, no one has been rotating correctly, etc etc.

One problem I have with Morey and have mentioned this during the offseason is that his lack of commitment to winning now. Yes he and Les cashed in this past year but I feel like we are on the fence of winning now and rebuilding. These young assets and picks are supposed to nab us an all-star but so far we have nothing to show for that and until we turn those assets into one we will continue to sit on that fence and be stuck in mediocrity. Morey and Les have to decide between now and the February trade deadline whether this team is in a competing or rebuild mode. Whatever route they choose, Houston is in a great position but they HAVE to choose one imo.

And yes the Ariza trade was horrible, Chase Bud and Courtney Lee are why Morey dealt him and both have been almost invisible out on the court so far.

Already talked about this like Dash said in the gameday threads.

It's a mixture of various issues and guys not stepping up when they have the opportunity to.

Shane Battier: He's really now got all the burden on his shoulders, and he's not getting any younger. His numbers have gone up since Aaron went down with the injury, so when he wants to try he can clearly still help out on the offensive end. His defense isn't incredible without more help. Trading Ariza clearly hurt the defense but lightened the load on the pocket. Again I would like to see Lee play more because I think he is a good defender but questioning Rick Adelman's coaching decision can be a thread on it's own. :wacko:

Yao Ming: Out for a week, way to inconsistent needs so much time to get back into the rhythm. Hard to do that with a minute limit.

Aaron Brooks: Insignificant for the next 4-6 weeks

Kyle Lowry: Doing his best T Mac impression struggling with back spasms, taking horrible shots for some odd reason he lost his brain and his back at the same time. He went 2-11 against the Wizards in his return... why would he ever take 11 shots.

Scola+Martin = Easily the two most consistent on the offensive end, but ya they don't play defense. :P

Chase Budinger= Biggest disappointment so far, and you hate to see it because he's got a real opportunity at making some noise like he did last year.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/lebronze23/ouch-2.jpg

3-23 from the three point line.....Chase looks like a very average player when he can't shoot at a high percentage, seems to bring him down in all areas.

Jordan Hill= PLAY HIM MORE

Ish Smith= Biggest surprise so far, no complaints.

Rockets can keep up for most of the game, it's the last 3-4 minutes that has everyone waiting for a leader to step up. Without Yao or Aaron who wants it? I would pick Kevin but he hasn't taken the initiative yet.