If the Cavs Make the Playoffs, Does Byron Scott Deserve COTY?

The title says it all. I won't answer my own question or expand on my answer because maybe some homerism would get involved in this.

So what do you think, and if not, why and who would deserve it then taking into consideration how teams have been performing so far

Source: Other Site

I would say that Monty Williams will get it if the Hornets keep playing like this. Scott would definitely be in the running, but I think it all depends on what the Cavs' end record is. Just making the Playoffs probably wouldn't be enough to do it. However, if they made the Playoffs as the sixth seed or higher, then I could definitely see it.

Cleveland has always had this kind of a talented roster. First, what happens when you have a superstar player on your team? You get caught up in standing around watching him go to work. What happens when one player is taking the ball, and then when he needs his teammates they are just standing around watching? Turnovers and ultimately losses. And finally, what happens when that superstar is no long with the team? They realize that they have to play basketball as a team in order to win.

I think that's what your seeing happen in Cleveland, and I think they will continue to play good, solid basketball. As for the Coach of the Year Award? I know Scott is going to be in the conversation, but with the way Williams' Hornets are playing, I really think he'll end up winning it.

Thoughts?

Every analyst on ESPN had us finishing out of the playoffs, some were skeptical we'd even win 20 games. Sure, the season isn't over and many teams are overachieving/underachieving now, but this doesn't seem like a fluke to me. He deserves it because no one expected this team to do anything, and NO NBA franchise has ever been in a worse position than this team was coming into the season. So to get that team to the playoffs is a pretty big deal.

Eh, it really depends on where they end up. If they are in the top 5-6 then you can definitely argue that he needs to be in the talks. I honestly don't see the Cavs making the post season at all but I also don't see them being a bottom dweller in the East either. I see them just barely missing out.

i never thought they would be bad, a playoff team? kinda surprised but not shocked it is the east after all. when you have a bunch of guys who are committed to defense and almost all of them can spread the floor good things are going to happen not only that no doubt these guys want to prove they can play without lebron.

i think Monty Williams will get it if hornets make playoffs simply because everyone had them as a bottom feeder, idk why because all you only have to look back to the 08 season and see what Chris Paul done back then

Every analyst on ESPN had us finishing out of the playoffs, some were skeptical we'd even win 20 games. Sure, the season isn't over and many teams are overachieving/underachieving now, but this doesn't seem like a fluke to me. He deserves it because no one expected this team to do anything, and NO NBA franchise has ever been in a worse position than this team was coming into the season. So to get that team to the playoffs is a pretty big deal.

Could not agree with you more if they make the playoffs anything higher than the 8th seed he should and imo will get it.

Depends on if the Hornets can keep up this pace and end up with a 2nd or 3rd seed out West. In that case, Monty Williams deserves it. Otherwise, yeah, if the Cavs can manage to squeek into the playoffs, then Byron Scott deserves it. For those that don't think he'll win it unless they get a high playoff seed, remember, Sam Mitchell won the award just a few years ago with the Raptors winning only 47 games. The Cavs won't win that many games, but if they get into the playoffs, he will have an awesome shot.

Another guy I can see getting it, as a lifetime achievement award, would be Jerry Sloan. He has yet to win COTY honors, and as long as they win the Northwest, he'll be a prime candidate as well.

I would say that Monty Williams will get it if the Hornets keep playing like this. Scott would definitely be in the running, but I think it all depends on what the Cavs' end record is. Just making the Playoffs probably wouldn't be enough to do it. However, if they made the Playoffs as the sixth seed or higher, then I could definitely see it.

Cleveland has always had this kind of a talented roster. First, what happens when you have a superstar player on your team? You get caught up in standing around watching him go to work. What happens when one player is taking the ball, and then when he needs his teammates they are just standing around watching? Turnovers and ultimately losses. And finally, what happens when that superstar is no long with the team? They realize that they have to play basketball as a team in order to win.

I think that's what your seeing happen in Cleveland, and I think they will continue to play good, solid basketball. As for the Coach of the Year Award? I know Scott is going to be in the conversation, but with the way Williams' Hornets are playing, I really think he'll end up winning it.

Thoughts?

Yes, I agree that Monty Williams deserves it if th Hornets get atleast 50+ wins this season.

For those that don't think he'll win it unless they get a high playoff seed, remember, Sam Mitchell won the award just a few years ago with the Raptors winning only 47 games. The Cavs won't win that many games, but if they get into the playoffs, he will have an awesome shot.

Raptors were the 3rd seed that season thanks to the [expletive]ty conference.