Three Top-Tier Teams Have Inquired About Acquiring DeMarcus Cousins

The Lone Granger

Three top-tier teams have reportedly inquired about DeMarcus Cousins' availability.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2010+NBA+Draft+1Rd2aIZBd-Vm.jpg

The Kings' rookie was fined $5,000 last month for clashing with an assistant coach, and was called out at halftime on Wednesday for playing too selfishly. He fouled out in 21 minutes against the Suns on Friday and isn't currently providing the consistent numbers fantasy owners crave.

rotoworld

After the great start for Cousins where it looked like he was going to be that good teammate/rising star for Sac-Town, this has come very quickly and hard for fans to understand. What is going on with DC? Is he ever going to turn into what his talent says he could be? This is exactly the reason that the New Jersey Nets selected Favors over him. There was no question that Cousins was the better prospect, but he always had the potential to become a bust because of selfishness as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not labeling him a bust at all, but he's definitely starting to have a negative impact in the lockerroom for the Kings. I mean really? He's arguing with coaches as a rookie. He needs to realize that he doesn't understand the NBA game yet, and he needs to learn from his coaching staff, not argue against them.

What do you guys think will end up happening with the DeMarcus Cousins situation? Is there any chance that they actually look to deal him?

Thoughts?

• Owner

One definitely isn't the Lakers, that's for sure. He was running his big mouth all game long against us, and even before that, he took a shot at Drew.

I really wouldn't want him here. I'd rather have Drew back for the next meeting, just to eat this kid alive.

• Owner

I'm guessing that the three teams are the Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, and then maybe a team like the Orlando Magic?

Probably not the Heat. They don't have anything to offer. They've spent all of their draft picks (and don't have the cap room to begin with), and they would have to give the Kings four players at the minimum salaries they are signed to, or deal Mike Miller...but Sacramento wouldn't hand over Cousins for that crap.

I don't see Boston being that interested.

Orlando? They definitely need him, although Brandon Bass is showing signs of better play. The Magic would immediately stick Cousins at the four, and they would finally have a legitimate power forward that can start for them.

Probably not the Heat. They don't have anything to offer. They've spent all of their draft picks (and don't have the cap room to begin with), and they would have to give the Kings four players at the minimum salaries they are signed to, or deal Mike Miller...but Sacramento wouldn't hand over Cousins for that crap.

I don't see Boston being that interested.

Orlando? They definitely need him, although Brandon Bass is showing signs of better play. The Magic would immediately stick Cousins at the four, and they would finally have a legitimate power forward that can start for them.

Why wouldn't Boston be interested? They've had major front court injuries to the point where they had to play Marquis Daniels at power forward at times. Shaq isn't healthy, Jermaine O'Neal definitely isn't healthy with his knees, and since Perkins isn't available, and Erden just isn't quite ready for the NBA, I think Cousins would be a very nice fit in Boston.

Orlando was the first team that came to mind for me. They only have Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson at the four, and neither of those guys should be a starter. Bass is good, and would make a great backup, but I don't think he can do much more than that. As for what they'd have to give up though? What do you think about a deal involving Pietrus or Redick, Ryan Anderson, and a pick?

Who do you think the other two teams are other than the Magic then? If it's not the Celtics and Heat? I agree with your point on the Heat that they don't have anything to give up.

no way he is dealt because of this one little incident. i mean lets be honest.... this was a LITTLE incident in the grand scheme of things.

they drafted him knowing he was going to be a headache, so they seriously can't be interested in taking offers the minute he becomes an issue. they HAVE to try and help DeMarcus develop. they made that choice the minute they turned in that envelop and made him their selection.

• Owner

Why wouldn't Boston be interested? They've had major front court injuries to the point where they had to play Marquis Daniels at power forward at times. Shaq isn't healthy, Jermaine O'Neal definitely isn't healthy with his knees, and since Perkins isn't available, and Erden just isn't quite ready for the NBA, I think Cousins would be a very nice fit in Boston.

They wouldn't be interested because they wouldn't trade their big pieces for him. It's basically the same reason why the Heat wouldn't call. Sacramento would brush off any trade that doesn't involve Pierce, Allen, Garnett, or Rondo, and the Celtics aren't desperate enough to get that done. They are the best team in the East.

Who do you think the other two teams are other than the Magic then? If it's not the Celtics and Heat? I agree with your point on the Heat that they don't have anything to give up.

I'm sure the Hawks would consider it, and maybe even the Thunder. Both teams can afford to get bigger up front. Denver would probably consider trading Melo for him.

With that said, I don't think the Kings are actually considering a trade. As mentioned already by a few others in here, there's no reason to trade him just yet...and they won't get what they want from many teams right now, especially top-tier teams.

10 and 6... I was spot on... he's a Nene clone.

Denver would probably consider trading Melo for him.

I hope not. Give me Kevin Love, rebounding machine and double2, great locker room guy without baggage. Or Derrick Favors who imo is way more talented and a kid with great attitude.

I'm tired with kids like J.R. Smith who've just hit millions and think they're all that like Cousins.

For Melo, it better ain't be for Cousins... it better ain't be.

Edited by Multi-Billionaire