Coaching Staff Expanding DeRozan's Role

But what we are also witnessing is the next stage in the development of the guy the Raptors hope will eventually become one of those all-stars.

DeMar DeRozan has been touted as that player since the Raptors selected him ninth overall two drafts ago. But it’s just now that they are expanding the sets they run to include plays designed specifically to get the ball into his hands in late-game situations and let him take advantage of his raw athleticism.

“We have decided that we are going to give him more options and more opportunities late in games to find out whether he can be that type of player,” head coach Jay Triano said. “Friday night in Orlando, with 11 points in the fourth quarter, he was big for us.”

Saturday night in Miami, he was one of four Raptors who played all 12 minutes in the final quarter and responded with eight points on 3-of-5 shooting and five attempts from the free throw line.

“I think that he is still learning the game, but the one thing you can’t teach that he has is the ability to create in the air,” Triano said. “You can teach people jab steps and crossovers and how to shoot and how to pass. But when he goes to the basket, he has that innate ability to find a way to create space and that gives him the opportunity to be very special if he continues to learn on the other things.”

Two games into his expanded role, DeRozan has responded with 21- and 26-point nights, just the second and third times he has had more than 15 all year. In those two games, he is an efficient 15-for-25 from the field to go with 18 successful free throws in 23 attempts.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/11/14/16138041.html

Looks like the coaching staff is finally going to do what Raptor fans have been pleading for all season long; throwing DeRozan to the wolves and seeing what he can do.

It shouldn't have taken injuries to Kleiza or Barbosa, nor should it have taken 10 games, but better late than never, I guess.

Bosh also had some comments for him:

“Just that he’s been playing good,” Bosh said of the conversation. “I told him it was good to see him. I’m glad that’s he’s playing good. He’s shown a lot of growth. He’s very aggressive. If he keeps working, he’s going to be a very, very good player.”

Awesome to hear. Demar should be the focal point of this team offensively by the end of the season.

“I’m just glad my struggles came early,” DeRozan said. “I saw what I was doing wrong and I just tried to correct it. That’s mainly been my focus. At the end of the day, this team needs me and I definitely want to be a big part of it.”

<3.

Edited by Check my Stats

It's about time that they make this kind of move. DeRozan is the future of this team in my opinion right now. I think you could have a future "big three lol" of Weems, Ed Davis, and DeRozan. Makes sense to me at least, and not to mention Bargnani.

As for Bosh's comments that was cool for me to see at least. I know Raptors fans are probably never going to forgive him for leaving, but it was cool to see those comments. It's obvious to me that he didn't leave because he was mad at the organization, he made a business move. Personally, I think he still loves Toronto, his former teammates and fans there as well. Great, professional move from Bosh in my opinion.

I don't think Weems should be considered as a main player for the Raptors. He is, at best, a fourth option or a role player. If the Raptors can get some solid draft picks and hook some veterans up via free agency, they could be back in playoff contention sooner than later.

This is only Weems' 2nd full NBA season. He is putting up really good numbers so far (13 ppg in 24 minutes on .524). He should be starting for this team, he has been arguably our best player so far, so he should be given a chance to prove if he can get it done in more minutes. He has at least earned a shot at this point.

Weems is already a really solid defender and as athletic as you could ask for, despite being 24 already he is only in his 3rd year (years pro is a better gauge of potential than age imo) and has an automatic mid range. He is in the gym all the time working on his game, and he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who will just sit on a new contract, he wants to get better and it is showing in the short time he has been here.

The problem is, Kleiza, Barbosa and Demar are all under contract next year, and if Sonny puts up these numbers (possibly even better) someone will definitely throw the full MLE at him, I am worried we might be too close to the HC to retain him. Hopefully we can ship Barbosa out in the off-season to ensure a spot in the rotation for Sonny. He seems to want to be here, he got his chance to shine here, and that is how we need to grow this team, not through FA's.

Edited by Check my Stats

Who cares about Weems this thread is about DeRozan and I just love the way he has been playing in past two games. I’m finally seeing plays being called for him and he is executing by either making a play for himself or creating for his teammates and most importantly he is being very aggressive. DeRozan has the same problem that Weems has which is consistency which is very common with all young players but I love what I’m seeing out of him. My issue with him is that he takes plays off but I think it’s a conditioning issue. He needs to get used to playing 40 plus minutes.

DeRozan needs to improve his three point shooting and his defensive. Wade really exposed him in the last game but on the defensive end it hasn’t been easy for him. As time past I can see DeRozan becoming a really good defensive player for the Raptors.