Davis braces for return

headliner

At times it’s frustrating but when you’ve been watching your teammates playing for almost seven weeks while you itch to get back in game action, baby steps are all Ed Davis has.

Wednesday night in Philadelphia he took another step exchanging the bulky brace for a lighter one that puts him another step closer to making his NBA debut.

Davis gave the new brace the thumbs up. Monday in Miami he went through his first full contact practice. It all points to a return to the court as early as next week.

The Sun

I’m excited to see Davis for the first time some point next week. I don’t know how much run he will get or if he will be sent to the D League to get back into playing shape but the main thing is if he can contribute on the defensive end by rebounding and blocking shots, it would make a huge difference on this team.

I've been saying this all along. When Davis comes back, I really believe the makeup of this Raptors team will change quite a bit. You put an energetic, and defensively minded Ed Davis out on the court, and you get a lot better right away. In my opinion, the reason Toronto brought him in in the first place, is to have the defensive mentality, and also have a guy who has solid moves in the post and can score the ball from the paint. I'm looking forward to see what the young big man can do following in the footsteps of Chris Bosh. I think he can step in and be a very nice starter for the Raptors.

Not expecting much from him this season.

I'm sure he will be sent to Erie for a game or two to get his legs under him, but even with that it will probably be after Christmas before he is finally in game shape and 100% ready. He was pretty raw in the first place and missing so much time in his sophomore season combined with missing training camp and the first 15 games or so of the season won't help that.

It is good to hear that he is going to be ready to return soon, though. I said around the beginning of December and that is what it seems like will happen.

Well with Anderson gone there is a good chance Davis wont be sent to the D league and he may get a decent about of playing time.

It is possible, but they weren't going to send him to the D-League in order for him to get playing time. They were going to send him there for him to get his legs under him. He was never going to spend more than a game or 2 down there, with or without Andersen.

Playing time was never the issue because they have said that he will be worked into the rotation regardless. It was all about conditioning for him.