Shannon Brown

The Regime

Just like every other Laker fan, I've been amazed at how well Shannon Brown has shot the ball this season. He has transformed from solely a highlight dunker and super streaky shooter to a deadly jumpshooter from virtually any part on the floor. If the season ended today, Shannon Brown would be a leading candidate for sixth man of the year. Don't believe me, just take a look at his stats and be the judge yourself. His shooting percentages are way better than guys like Jason Terry and Jamal Crawford who have won this award the last two years, he isn't scoring as much as either of those guys but take into consideration the playing time.

http://i52.tinypic.com/ld5ix.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2992

In the future I'll input his stats manually probably after every game, just too lazy to do it now.

Edited by Confidence

Shannon has been a killer since the first game of the season. When they opened against the Rockets I thought it was a fluke that Shannon was burying shots from all over the place, clearly he deserves credit for working on that part of his game in the off season.

Sonny Weems is doing the same thing.

First off Sonny Weems is playing 8 more minutes on average, that's the only reason why his scoring, rebounding, and assist averages are higher. With 28 minutes per game Shannon could probably average anywhere from 14-15 ppg while accomodating for the slight difference in their rebounding and assist numbers. And since we are comparing the two guys Shannon Brown is shooting a better % from deep (6the best in the NBA) and the strike (95% compared to 79%).

It all comes down to the improved three-point shooting that is opening up his game in my opinion.

You look at him last year, and he was a very solid player off the bench that mainly drove to the bucket and finished, and occasionally hit a three. He's shooting 51% from behind the arc, and has made 29/57. If I'm not mistaken that's among the best in the league. Teams are having to put their defenders up on the arc to guard him, and that's also allowing him to drive past them to the bucket and either finish or kick out to teammates for open looks. He's really had this kind of potential, all that it hinged on was him developing a three-ball. Similar to if Rajon Rondo could hit the three, but not quite to that extreme.

During 4 game losing streak....

http://i52.tinypic.com/dm46xg.jpg

Shannon certainly hasn't helped the cause. His three ball in particular hasn't dropped with the same consistency as it did in the beginning of the season. Shannon shares the blame with the rest of the squad, but we need him to play well even when the team is struggling. His seems like only his best production comes when we are winning games.

Also looking at our inability to score the last four games I certainly wouldn't mind if Shannon got a little bit more playing time. He has proven that he can score up into the 20's when given the playing time.

Edited by Confidence