Source: Orlando and Washington Discussing Arenas Trade

Built Ford Tough

The Orlando Magic have engaged the Washington Wizards in an ongoing trade dialog centered around Wizards shooting guard Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Pinstriped Post has learned. What Orlando would send Washington in return for the three-time All-Star is less clear, but the proposed deal likely includes shooting guard Vince Carter, according to a source. Wizards big man Andray Blatche, Magic forward Rashard Lewis, and Magic center Daniel Orton could also be involved. Both teams have a mutual understanding of what the trade might include, the source says, and it's unclear what factors are holding up the trade. What is clear around the league, however, is that Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith has his eye on Arenas. If Orlando is to make a major trade this season, Arenas will likely be the target.

CBS Sports' Ken Berger reported the Magic listened to trade offers regarding Arenas this summer, but rebuffed the Wizards due to concern over the salary remaining on his contract, which runs for three seasons after this one, at a total cost of $62.4 million. In early November, Marc Stein of ESPN.com reported "the Magic have cooled on the notion of a Vince Carter-for-Arenas exchange," citing "NBA front-office sources." However, the source who spoke to Orlando Pinstriped Post contradicts Stein's report, saying Orlando has indeed initiated the discussions with Washington of late.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/12/1/1847994/source-orlando-magic-discuss-gilbert-arenas-trade-with-washington

Is there a worse GM in the league when it comes to cap management than Otis Smith? If this is true, and Arenas does wind up in Orlando, I don't see how that can be disputed.

• Owner

I'm reading this over and over again, and I don't get this trade for EITHER team.

Don't know the details, exactly, but look at what the Wizards would be getting: Vince Carter and, maybe, Rashard Lewis.

They'd have to trade Andray Blatche and Gilbert Arenas. Dumping Arenas is fine, but Blatche? I know the guy has been screwing up and not playing like a big 50% of the time he's in the game, but there are actually times he DOES play like one, and you can't get around the fact that he is a big man, period. Lewis is a three, should never be playing the four because he's a SF stuck in a position that doesn't really suit him in Orlando. Carter is a SG/SF.

Do the Wizards really want to start Yi at the four?

As far as what Orlando is dishing out...for Arenas? He's making as much as Vince, with basically four years left on his contract (Vince expires in two).

Shard has $20-23+ million for three years, so maybe it makes sense...BUT...

A trade involving both Shard and Vince would need $37.8 million in return. Arenas is $17.7 million of that. Blatche is $6 million. With the 25% rule, they are short around $8 million, which means they would need to add two other players OR just Hinrich.

This trade is a train wreck for both sides.

• Like 1

I had a feeling some day Arenas would wind up in Orlando. He has denied reports that his relationship with Otis Smith would trigger trade talks between the two franchises, but it seemed pretty clear to me that there was mutual interest between the two (Otis and Gil).

But I'm not worried about what's being reported here, because I HIGHLY doubt we go for Rashard Lewis (who happens to make more money than Gil) while also adding Dray. Clearly the Wizards are interested in a Carter for Arenas swap, but Orlando doesn't want to give up on Carter. But I'm a bit worried in having a disgruntled Carter for the next 65 or so games, my best guess is that we either waive him or send him to a third team.

I'm just hoping we're able to get some young talent in return. No, not Daniel Orton either..

Brandon, Carter expires after this season, actually. He has a team option for next season, but clearly nobody is going to be picking up that option, regardless of where he is playing to finish the season.

I don't see how this would go down without a third team involved because of financial reasons, like stated above. Smith is horrible at managing salary, but I don't think even he will put together arguably the two worst contracts in the NBA on the same team in Lewis and Arenas. Lewis' deal is a year shorter than Arenas' , but I don't see the point in Washington making that switch considering Lewis is just a joke of a player now, especially at that price tag. The only way I can see Washington up for this swap would be if Arenas has another off the court fiasco and they finally say "[expletive] it, we need to get this guy out of here and as far away from John Wall as possible" or something.

I also don't see a third team wanting to take on Lewis' deal, either. The only contract, other than Arenas, as bad as his is Brand's, but it doesn't make much sense for Philly to trade Brand for Lewis either.

So yeah, I don't see this trade going down either, at least with the rumored names above. I could see a possible Carter/Orton for Arenas/Blatche kind of deal going down if Washington is desperate to dump salary closer to the deadline, but I don't know how Lewis will fit into the picture because he has the worst contract imaginable.

• Owner

Brandon, Carter expires after this season, actually. He has a team option for next season, but clearly nobody is going to be picking up that option, regardless of where he is playing to finish the season.

Blame my iPhone for that. I have no idea why, but on Hoopshype (using my phone), none of the salaries are color-coded.

Good catch. :D

The only reason that I could see Orlando making this trade, is to get Blatche if he is involved. If not why would you want to swap Carter for Arenas? For Washington it makes sense to me, except for them trading Blatche. He hasn't been playing all that great this year from the games that I've watched, but he's still a very good young talent. If they get Rashard Lewis back in return, that's a nice piece, as well as Orton if he can stay healthy, but still not a great trade for them unless they are trying to free up some cap space with Carter's expiring contract. Just doesn't look like a really good trade for either team in my opinion.

I don't see how this would go down without a third team involved because of financial reasons, like stated above. Smith is horrible at managing salary, but I don't think even he will put together arguably the two worst contracts in the NBA on the same team in Lewis and Arenas. Lewis' deal is a year shorter than Arenas' , but I don't see the point in Washington making that switch considering Lewis is just a joke of a player now, especially at that price tag.

100% agree.

The only way I can see Washington up for this swap would be if Arenas has another off the court fiasco and they finally say "[expletive] it, we need to get this guy out of here and as far away from John Wall as possible" or something.

But the thing is, would Orlando want Arenas if there's another off the court issue? They're already taking a gamble with team chemistry, etc, I don't think they want to bring in a player that could potentially have more drama surrounding him.

So yeah, I don't see this trade going down either, at least with the rumored names above. I could see a possible Carter/Orton for Arenas/Blatche kind of deal going down if Washington is desperate to dump salary closer to the deadline, but I don't know how Lewis will fit into the picture because he has the worst contract imaginable.

I've been so frustrated with Blatche, but Ernie Grunfeld would be a dead man walking if he was THAT desperate to deal away Arenas (who has proven to be an effective player with or without John Wall, and a good mentor and friend to John).

And just to clear everything up, here's Ted Leonsis:

"It isn't true. I wouldn't tell you if it was true but I am telling you that it is not true."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/12/ted-leonsis-on-arenas-trade-ru.html