Regardless of what happens this season.

Yao Ming ($17,686,100)

Jared Jeffries ($6,883,400)

Shane Battier ($7,354,500)

Nearly $32,000,000 in expirings, and I doubt Rockets resign Jeffries, give Yao a new contract or pay Shane Battier even half of what he is earning now.

We also have lots of assets, Kevin Martin, Scola, Lowry, Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, and Brad Miller are all resigned for many years.

Yeah you can do A LOT with that kind of money. See what Morey managed to do with $23 million in expirings last year. What I hope happens is:

1) The Rockets trade Yao and the expirings for another all-star to pair with Luis Scola and Kevin Martin. Iggy is a name that has been thrown around a lot but he's awfully redundant to Terrence Williams, and doubtful the Sixers trade him to us.

2) We trade Yao and/or the expirings for a big contract in order to bring in some good young talent.

3) We simply let Yao, Jeffries and Battier expire and then throw all that cap room on Marc Gasol.

Yeah you can do A LOT with that kind of money. See what Morey managed to do with $23 million in expirings last year. What I hope happens is:

1) The Rockets trade Yao and the expirings for another all-star to pair with Luis Scola and Kevin Martin. Iggy is a name that has been thrown around a lot but he's awfully redundant to Terrence Williams, and doubtful the Sixers trade him to us.

2) We trade Yao and/or the expirings for a big contract in order to bring in some good young talent.

3) We simply let Yao, Jeffries and Battier expire and then throw all that cap room on Marc Gasol.

I like option 3

I like option 3

Same but its also the least likely one to happen. Grizzlies covet Gasol more than Randolph and are almost certain to match any offer that is thrown at Marc. Morey is going to have to overpay him or somehow strike a sign and trade deal with Memphis.

All those things you have, other [expletive]ty teams like the Raptors have as well.

True but Rockets are a .500 team (maybe not now but they will be @ the end of the season), and most of the Raptors expiring's (about 21 million) is Peja's monster contract, Rockets have 32 million compared to the Raptors 21 million, and we have way more assets in my opinion.

• Owner

Same but its also the least likely one to happen. Grizzlies covet Gasol more than Randolph and are almost certain to match any offer that is thrown at Marc. Morey is going to have to overpay him or somehow strike a sign and trade deal with Memphis.

Yeah, Gasol is restricted, and I doubt the Grizzlies let him go. They are more likely to let Randolph walk. They wanted to lock up Gasol, Conley and Gay, and explore trade options with OJ Mayo.

As far as the other two options go, I'm not sure the Rockets can pull off a trade for an all-star with just expiring contracts. Yao Ming will probably become just that, and nothing more, and I can't think of many instances in the history of the league where a bundle of expirings were stuck together, with no other talent, to bring in someone who is already considered an all-star (Marc Gasol was the talent that Memphis wanted when trading Pau, so I don't even consider that).

Yeah, Gasol is restricted, and I doubt the Grizzlies let him go. They are more likely to let Randolph walk. They wanted to lock up Gasol, Conley and Gay, and explore trade options with OJ Mayo.

As far as the other two options go, I'm not sure the Rockets can pull off a trade for an all-star with just expiring contracts. Yao Ming will probably become just that, and nothing more, and I can't think of many instances in the history of the league where a bundle of expirings were stuck together, with no other talent, to bring in someone who is already considered an all-star (Marc Gasol was the talent that Memphis wanted when trading Pau, so I don't even consider that).

Well we wouldn't be trading just the expirings, we could dangle Jordan Hill, Terrence Williams and some of the other youth and draft picks we have on the team. I think we could get something decent in return especially with a new CBA on the way.

Morey will likely covet Gasol, I would rather see us go after Tayshaun Prince, who is an unrestricted free agent, can easily replace Battier and maybe get a decent starting center and we'll be amazing.

I would love to have Prince, his defense is extraordinary and his championship experience would a great add to a young nucleus. My money is on him signing with a contender though.

Dash, I saw Tayshaun Prince was an expiring, replacing him with Battier is just amazing if you think about it.

The problem is...

Kevin Martin

Terrence Williams

Chase Budinger

Courtney Lee

Wing positions are already loaded and its tough to throw $8 million at Prince when some nights he won't play more than 25 minutes. One of those four have got to go.

The problem is...

Kevin Martin

Terrence Williams

Chase Budinger

Courtney Lee

Wing positions are already loaded and its tough to throw $8 million at Prince when some nights he won't play more than 25 minutes. One of those four have got to go.

I dont think thats a problem XD, Battier plays 30.4 mpg, and he is awful. Prince also can play PF vs teams who have big men that like to play behind the 3 point line. Plus K-Mart doesn't play a whole lot and C-Bud/Lee are mainly bench players, who will start if Battier is gone? Plus doesn't Courtney Lee also play PG?

Edited by His Yugoness

I dont think thats a problem XD, Battier plays 30.4 mpg, and he is awful. Prince also can play PF vs teams who have big men that like to play behind the 3 point line. Plus K-Mart doesn't play a whole lot and C-Bud/Lee are mainly bench players, who will start if Battier is gone?

Yeah but unless Bud is dropped from the rotation, Battier's minutes are going to fall big time once Williams makes his debut Friday.

Also the Rockets will likely petition for the disabled player exception, which we used on Trevor Ariza :( last season.

"Disabled Player Exception: Allows a team that is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for either the remainder of that season (for in-season injuries/deaths) or the next season (if the disability occurs during the offseason). The maximum salary of the replacement player is either 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less. This exception requires an NBA-designated doctor to verify the extent of the injury.

I think this can be used in a trade.

You have 96 minutes total at SG/SF

Kevin Martin averages 32 mpg

Courtney Lee averages 19 mpg (Some at PG)

Chase Budinger averages 20 mpg

All you do is lower Courtney Lee's and Budinger's minutes and you can get Prince to play about 32 mpg.

Edited by His Yugoness

I guess its possible but still a logjam and Lee wouldn't be getting any minutes at the point with Brooks coming back. Regardless I think one of those 4 gets traded near the deadline. Morey is a stat guy and I wouldn't be all that surprised if he does target Prince if Gasol is not attainable.

I guess its possible but still a logjam and Lee wouldn't be getting any minutes at the point with Brooks coming back. Regardless I think one of those 4 gets traded near the deadline. Morey is a stat guy and I wouldn't be all that surprised if he does target Prince if Gasol is not attainable.

In my opinion not exactly, its not too difficult to give Prince 32 mins a game when Battier is averaging already 30. I think the Rockets are just a Prince away from being a 50 win team.

In my opinion not exactly, its not too difficult to give Prince 32 mins a game when Battier is averaging already 30. I think the Rockets are just a Prince away from being a 50 win team.

I disagree with the 50 wins but I do think that Brooks and Martin would benefit heavily from having a Tayshaun Prince on the team. The Rockets thought Battier could help negate their backcourt's defense but we all saw how that turned out.

I disagree with the 50 wins but I do think that Brooks and Martin would benefit heavily from having a Tayshaun Prince on the team. The Rockets thought Battier could help negate their backcourt's defense but we all saw how that turned out.

Tayshaun Prince >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Battier

just saying.

Edited by His Yugoness

Tayshaun Prince >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Battier

just saying.

I don't think we would get past the first round with him. Rebuild and keep him as a mentor until we are ready to compete again.