Patrick Patterson impresses with playing time opportunity

Dash

In the first 3 games of Patrick Patterson's career where he has received significant playing time, he has proven to be worthy of the lottery pick title. He is averaging 8.7 points (10-17 shooting), 7.7 rebounds (3 offensive boards and 4.7 defensive) and 1.3 blocks per game in 24 minutes of action. Rick Adelman also said this in a interview following the Portland game:

"He's a very good team defender," Adelman said. "Of all of our bigs playing, he's probably the best team defender we have. He really understands where he should be, when he should be. I think he's ahead of other guys."

Incredibly high praise from Adelman especially considering that the Rockets already have strong defenders in Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier, Kyle Lowry and Courtney Lee. I love what I've been seeing from Patterson, the guy seems to have the total package in a young power forward. He's incredibly smart on both ends, he plays great defense, sound offensively (although not great), crashes the boards, and is a team player. Its no wonder that after the draft, Daryl Morey came out and said that he ranked P-Pat 6th on his draft board and was very pleased to be able to take him at 14th.

Good stuff seeing him do so well. It's been the only bright spot over the last couple losses.

He seems to have good basketball IQ and positions himself well to get rebounds and putbacks. I still feel like Terrence Williams can really help this team wake up at times when they need a boost, although Chase Budinger has really picked it up the last few games.

Good stuff seeing him do so well. It's been the only bright spot over the last couple losses.

He seems to have good basketball IQ and positions himself well to get rebounds and putbacks. I still feel like Terrence Williams can really help this team wake up at times when they need a boost, although Chase Budinger has really picked it up the last few games.

I can't imagine that Terrence is very happy sitting at the end of the bench either. Too much depth on this team (never did I think that I would ever say that), so many role players that could get minutes on other teams and yet there is trouble getting consistent time for each player on a sub .500 team. I've been saying this for a while but instead of adding more role players, can we just upgrade a starter? I understand that Morey saw an opportunity to get Williams cheap and he took it, but eventually he's going to have to solve this situation.

/rant

Anyways Bud has been impressive these past several games, seems that the trade for Terrence gave him the motivation to work on his game and play consistently. I do hope that the Rockets hold onto Williams because I honestly feel he may be the top 1 or 2 prospects on the team (debatable with Patterson/Hill).

Patterson's basketball IQ has been the most impressive to me though. He was brought up to be an intangibles kind of player, but he's using his intelligence to complement his skill-set. What do you think this does to Jordan Hill though? Hill was a tremendous rebounder last season and his hustle and defense have been up to par. Adelman already seems to be favoring Patterson. I honestly think Hill has more upside but despite the fact that he is older, he may take more time to develop as opposed to Patterson.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

I do think Chase feels pressured and at the same time Adelman has given him so many chances to break out of the slump he was in. It seems to be paying off finally in a month where the Rockets will need all the help they can get from everyone in the rotation.

I agree Morey needs to find that superstar player, role players are something he has mastered as a GM and it's much appreciated as a Rockets fan but at some point reality will kick in and he will make a move I am sure. He's got pieces to move, stacked at some positions clearly trades will have to be made but finding that player has been his biggest challenge. How many time have we heard the Rockets rumored to be involved with big name stars and yet we see those stars sign or get traded to other teams.

I have faith in Moreys plan but I think being mediocre in any sport in Houston has frustrated fans across the city.

As far as T Will goes I think he just possesses way to much talent to not be on the court. It's one thing for a coach to have issues with a player, but in this instance from what I have noticed Terrence has handled the situation really well. He's always up off the bench cheering on his new teammates he seems to be patient yet anxious for obvious reasons, he really hasn't come off as negatively as advertised.

In the garbage minutes he played his jump shot looked good, his court vision reminded me off Tmac and his athleticism is so clear cut.

Things can drastically change as the deadline approaches it will be interesting to see where the Rockets are at that point and time.

• Like 1