Kobe Bryant fights back against injuries

Dash

Kobe appeared to know exactly what was ailing his two-time defending team. Minutes after being manhandled by the Heat, he pronounced he was going to “kick [butt] at practice . . . and beat it into their heads. It was time to get the team focused.”

]Which brings us to the crux of my inquiry. How did Kobe propose to pull that off, a Lakers’ legionnaire wondered, “when he hasn’t practiced the whole season (something no member of LA’s press has called him out on)?”

Is that true, I asked Kobe?

“Yeah.”

Why?

“Because I have very little cartilage under my right knee cap, it’s almost bone on bone.”

Bryant has undergone three operations on that same knee, one this past offseason, after having it drained several times during last year’s playoffs.

"So, in order to protect my knee and avoid a situation like last year, we decided before the season to sacrifice the team’s intensity by minimizing wear and tear as much as possible.”

The Christmas Day indignity countermanded the above strategy. The Lakers’ mental and physical lethargy convinced Kobe the team craved his practice presence if it was to regain its passion in time for the playoff pit. In his opinion, some teammates had gotten far too comfortable, and it had trickled down as a group that was dangerously looking ahead to June.

Pau Gasol and others need him, he submitted, in their face, chest and game the same way Scottie Pippen and other Bulls needed Michael Jordan in theirs.

Kobe hasn’t missed a practice since, and has a puffy right knee to show for it.

Read the whole article here.

Love him or hate him, you have to admire the competitor in Kobe.

Is there any way to get it fixed in the summer?

That's what I'm wondering. I'm wondering if it's like Brandon Roy's injury that can't be fixed (besides meniscus transplant), or if he'd have to go through microfracture. Either way, it's a difficult situation. Definitely gotta admire his competitive drive, though.

I don't know what to think. A two time defending championship team with arguably the greatest coach, and definitely the greatest motivator, needs Kobe Bryant at practice in order to practice hard? The Miami Heat alone should be enough motivation for them to play hard every second.

I don't know what to think. A two time defending championship team with arguably the greatest coach, and definitely the greatest motivator, needs Kobe Bryant at practice in order to practice hard? The Miami Heat alone should be enough motivation for them to play hard every second.

:lol: the Miami Heat alone? More like the motivation of being 3 peat champs potential should be enough motivation alone.

It's sad to see Kobe go through all these injuries knowing that he's just not going to be in the league for too much longer because of these injuries that we're seeing happen now. He's hands, and his knee, and anything else that is injured is just going to end up killing him over the next few seasons. I say Kobe Bryant only has 2-3 years left in him, even though if he were healthy he could probably play at a high-level for another 5-6.

:lol: the Miami Heat alone? More like the motivation of being 3 peat champs potential should be enough motivation alone.

No. All the attention the Heat get despite the Lakers being 2x champs should be enough motivation for them to want to finish with the best record this season in my opinion.