Rockets Enter Carmelo Derby

htown11

As the Nets and Pistons wait for a decision from Denver on the future of Carmelo Anthony, the Houston Rockets have quietly made a push to acquire the All-Star forward, league sources told SI.com.

While the Rockets don't have a franchise talent like New Jersey's Derrick Favors, they can offer cap relief in the expiring contract of Yao Ming ($17.7 million), Shane Battier ($7.4 million) and Jared Jeffries ($6.9 million), as well young talent like leading scorer Kevin Martin or Aaron Brooks, the NBA's 2009-10 Most Improved Player. Houston also has the right to swap draft picks with the Knicks in 2011 and it owns New York's pick outright in 2012.

It is unclear if Anthony would be willing to sign an extension with Houston or if the Rockets are willing to make a deal for Anthony without the extension. Sources told SI.com in August that Anthony would be willing to sign with the Rockets but that was before Yao's season-ending injury.

One source said that while the Rockets were discussing a trade for Anthony they were "not close" to a deal on Monday.

Nothing particularly new here, but Rockets have not given up on the long shot.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/01/10/carmelo.anthony.rockets/index.html#ixzz1AhGaksaJ

It was a long shot to begin but our chances are even slimmer now with the Terrence Williams trade (assuming the Nuggets want a first over Williams). Morey is simply testing the waters with Denver, they have been out of the Melo conversation for quite some time so I can why he tried to intervene here.

The wildcard in these negotiations is turning out to be Patrick Patterson, who has been stellar for the Rockets ever since earning playing time. He's not the prospect that Derrick Favors is but he is certainly beginning to look like a top 5-8 player from the draft. Houston is still a dark horse in the conversation but they are quietly putting together a decent package for Melo, but they can try all they want as their offer won't ever trump the Net's. The only way Melo becomes a Rocket is if he doesn't commit to a extension and New Jersey begins to back away.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw this in Hollingers article lol crazy imagination.

Carmelo Anthony to Houston in an 18-player, four-team deal (The Trade)

Look, all these two- and three-team deals are fun and all, but if Anthony is going to change teams it's probably gonna be big and complicated. This deal would be the biggest in league history, for instance, and there are actually offshoots of it that would get even bigger; Chauncey Billups, for instance, would be a logical next domino from Denver's side but I couldn't squeeze him into this one. Better yet, if this trade happened, there's a 26.3 percent chance that Marc Stein's BlackBerry would spontaneously combust.

The deal I'm proposing would improve all four teams. Houston, obviously, gets Melo and a free dice-roll on his willingness to stay. To help with that decision the trade imports former Nugget teammate Marcus Camby and sharpshooting guard Mo Williams from Cleveland. To help out the Nuggets, Houston takes on Al Harrington's contract and sends Chase Budinger, Patrick Patterson and Yao Ming's insured contract to Denver. The Rockets also send disgruntled guard Aaron Brooks and backup center Jordan Hill to Portland and move high-scoring guard Kevin Martin to Cleveland.

The Nuggets walk away with four solid young pieces (Budinger, Patterson, Rudy Fernandez and Elliot Williams) plus a ton of cap relief from dumping Harrington on Houston, Kenyon Martin on Cleveland and J.R. Smith and Chris Andersen on Portland; the deal actually puts Denver under the tax line.

Cleveland takes on money in the short term by adding Kenyon Martin and Joel Przybilla but in the long term cleans its books of Mo Williams and Antawn Jamison and starts rebuilding around native Ohioan Kevin Martin.

And the Blazers rebuild their frontcourt with Jordan Hill, Jamison and Andersen; Jamison would team with LaMarcus Aldridge in a smallball frontcourt. Portland has played its best this season with Aldridge at center anyway. Smith replaces Fernandez as a gunner off the bench and provides insurance if Brandon Roy can't play, Brooks becomes the sixth man energizer behind Andre Miller. The Blazers would also send Przybilla and Sean Marks to Cleveland to make the numbers work.

Obviously the big question with this deal is whether Houston would be willing to give up so many of its young assets without Anthony's name on an extension. But if the Rockets would, the deal looks a win for everyone else.

:blink:

Wow, that's insane. He really does have a crazy imagination, but it's Hollinger so you just take what he says with a grain of salt. A great trade proposal. I'd definitely enjoy Brooks, Hill, Smith, and Anderson, lol.

EDIT - Oh, and Jamison too.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood
  • Like 1

He really does have a crazy imagination.

no he doesn't lol. any of us could [expletive] around on the ESPN trade machine and come up with crazy scenarios like this in a matter of minutes. I still can't believe he suggested Houston give up half their team for Melo and Harrington. what if Melo didn't sign that extension? that would go down as arguably the worst trade in NBA history for Houston. I wouldn't make the deal even if he signed the extension.

no he doesn't lol. any of us could [expletive] around on the ESPN trade machine and come up with crazy scenarios like this in a matter of minutes. I still can't believe he suggested Houston give up half their team for Melo and Harrington. what if Melo didn't sign that extension? that would go down as arguably the worst trade in NBA history for Houston. I wouldn't make the deal even if he signed the extension.

The whole point of the ESPN trade machine is to let your imagination run wild.... so ya he used his imagination and came up with a massive scenario.... it doesn't favor the Rockets but it is imagination.

The whole point of the ESPN trade machine is to let your imagination run wild.... so ya he used his imagination and came up with a massive scenario.... it doesn't favor the Rockets but it is imagination.

so anyone who puts together a big deal on the trade machine has a 'crazy imagination?'

I've done like, ten-team, 50 player trades on there, but my imagination sucks. it's just a matter of knowing players and contracts, not having an imagination.