Rockets and Bulls discuss Lee for Asik deal

Dash

The Rockets and Bulls have had conversations centered around an exchange of Courtney Lee for Omer Asik, according to a source.

Houston has been looking for an upgrade at center, while Chicago hopes to pair Derrick Rose with a better shooting guard.

The Rockets have also expressed interest in Kyrylo Fesenko of Utah.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/210804/Bulls_Rockets_Discuss_Asik_For_Lee_Trade#ixzz1DaeZXXqP

Asik is a promising young defensive big, hard to come by those but I'm skeptical about trading Courtney Lee. Sure he's not been having his best season but he's been solid in all areas and looks like the ideal role player for a championship contender team, and he still has room to grow. Tough decision to make but I wouldn't be opposed at all to this trade because the Rockets essentially trade nothing considering that they have Terrence Williams ready to take over Lee's playing time. Personally I'd rather trade Budinger but the Bulls seem intent on trading for Lee (rumors of them being interested for weeks).

Fesenko is a decent alternative, he can't help immediately like Asik but he could be a solid role player down the road if developed.

The Rockets better not do this trade. Were going to trade one of our best perimeter defenders for a backup center who barely gets PT. Not dissing Asik or anything he looks promising but to trade him for Lee would be making the Bulls better if you ask me. I'd rather us wait tell free agency if thats the case, the Rockets can do way better than that.

Edited by htownborn

The Rockets better not do this trade. Were going to trade one of our best perimeter defenders for a backup center who barely gets PT. Not dissing Asik or anything he looks promising but to trade him for Lee would be making the Bulls better if you ask me. I'd rather us wait tell free agency if thats the case, the Rockets can do way better than that.

But how often do you get the chance to acquire a promising young defensive center for a role player? Rarely, Asik isn't the player Lee is but the demand for players like him are very high while the supply is low. I'd love to able to get one of the big name centers in this year's free agency class but the chances of that happening without severely overpaying are slim.

Also note that while Asik's minutes are limited, he has done a very solid job since Joakim Noah went down and he's also just a rookie.

Edited by Dash

Tough to lose Lee he's one of the only guys that plays both ends on the Rockets team.

It's a tough dilemma because the Rockets are desperate for size and a center who actually shows promise not one that can go out and draw 6 fouls.

I feel like Lee is a great piece to the puzzle for the future, he is able to do so many different things but I can understand why the Bulls want Lee I actually think him and Rose are a scary tandem.

But how often do you get the chance to acquire a promising young defensive center for a role player? Rarely, Asik isn't the player Lee is but the demand for players like him are very high while the supply is low. I'd love to able to get one of the big name centers in this year's free agency class but the chances of that happening without severely overpaying are slim.

Also note that while Asik's minutes are limited, he has done a very solid job since Joakim Noah went down and he's also just a rookie.

He's done a decent job for the PT he has been getting true but I just don't know about trading him for Lee. I feel like htown11 if we wanted to get a center to pick up 6 fouls we could have just signed Ericka Dampier earlier this season. IDK maybe we should look at this trade as a backup plan if we can't get anything done but I still feel we could get better than this. I would look at Sacramento they have plenty of big men we could use. Dalembert who has a big expiring contract and still is useful(I doubt if they go after that big contract but who knows), a young prospect in Hassan Whiteside, or we could maybe work something out and get Thompson or maybe bring Landry back in.

Edited by htownborn

Only thing I have against Landry is we now have Hill and Patterson. Landry still doesn't solve the "undersized" problem the Rockets have had for a few years now. Plus I bet him and Brooks would love to reunite lol since they are best friends but I wonder if Brooks is on his way out, Adelman sounded pretty clear on him not being traded but I don't buy that, if you get a good deal you trade the guy no doubt.

I am not totally against this Asik deal I just don't know enough about the guy to be honest. How much potential does he really carry?

Tough to lose Lee he's one of the only guys that plays both ends on the Rockets team.

It's a tough dilemma because the Rockets are desperate for size and a center who actually shows promise not one that can go out and draw 6 fouls.

I feel like Lee is a great piece to the puzzle for the future, he is able to do so many different things but I can understand why the Bulls want Lee I actually think him and Rose are a scary tandem.

I agree with you completely about Lee, he's a fantastic player but again we could use a young big like Asik. However, we could always keep Lee and draft one of the many bigs in this year's draft (Vesely, Motiejunas, etc) but none of them are able to play the defense Asik can (except for maybe Jonas Val.) and the Rockets could certainly use the help right now for their playoff push.

He's done a decent job for the PT he has been getting true but I just don't know about trading him for Lee. I feel like htown11 if we wanted to get a center to pick up 6 fouls we could have just signed Ericka Dampier earlier this season. IDK maybe we should look at this trade as a backup plan if we can't get anything done but I still feel we could get better than this. I would look at Sacramento they have plenty of big men we could use. Dalembert who has an expiring contract and still is useful, a young prospect in Hassan Whiteside, or we could maybe work something out and get Thompson or maybe bring Landry back in.

Oh I'm absolutely sure that the Rockets could get a better deal for Lee, but right now 'better' doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe something changes near the deadline though.

Only thing I have against Landry is we now have Hill and Patterson. Landry still doesn't solve the "undersized" problem the Rockets have had for a few years now. Plus I bet him and Brooks would love to reunite lol since they are best friends but I wonder if Brooks is on his way out, Adelman sounded pretty clear on him not being traded but I don't buy that, if you get a good deal you trade the guy no doubt.

I am not totally against this Asik deal I just don't know enough about the guy to be honest. How much potential does he really carry?

True we have Hill and Patterson but in all honesty I see the Rockets trading Hill. Don't get me wrong I like Hill he's an impressive young prospect but at times he looks lost on the floor and above all he needs to bulk up some because he gets killed in the low post very easily. Landry on the other while he's undersized he's still a manbeast. He brings the toughness and energy that the Rockets could really use right now.

And I'm not totally against getting Asik either but like I said I would just see if I can find something better first if we can't get nothing then we can pull the trigger on this trade happening.

Edited by htownborn

Landry is a mediocre defender and among the ranks of Bargnani when it comes to rebounding, no thanks.

I'm sure Bulls fans have a much, much better assessment of Asik (I'm limited to what little knowledge I have of him) but I think Asik's ceiling is as a fringe NBA starter/decent role player off the bench. He averages a respectable amount of rebounds for the minutes he plays and he's terrific at protecting the paint, could benefit heavily from playing with the Chuckwagon.

FWIW: His per 36 minutes statistics are 8.6 points, 10.3 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and yes 6 fouls per game.

True we have Hill and Patterson but in all honesty I see the Rockets trading Hill. Don't get me wrong I like Hill he's an impressive young prospect but at times he looks lost on the floor and above all he needs to bulk up some because he gets killed in the low post very easily. Landry on the other while he's undersized he's still a manbeast. He brings the toughness and energy that the Rockets could really use right now.

And I'm not totally against getting Asik either but like I said I would just see if I can find something better first if we can't get nothing then we can pull the trigger on this trade happening.

Jordan Hill has so much more potential than Patterson but like you said he doesn't have the brain nor the intensity to achieve that potential (yet). Personally I'd rather hang onto him, he's only in his second NBA season and he's seen some inconsistent minutes (not sure if he's still injured).

Again do not want Landry.

Interesting stats on Asik if you look at it logically the Asik deal does make sense because the Rockets are literally desperate for size and not guards.

I wish they could acquire Asik without trading Lee but again I really think the Bulls would be a legit threat with Lee.

BTW here is Marc Spears on 610 earlier today.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbshouston.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F02%2Fmarcspears2-10-11.mp3&podcast_name=Marc+Spears&podcast_artist=Ben+Nance&station_id=63&audio_link=true&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

Talked about various things including Melo, and Nene.

Interesting stats on Asik if you look at it logically the Asik deal does make sense because the Rockets are literally desperate for size and not guards.

I wish they could acquire Asik without trading Lee but again I really think the Bulls would be a legit threat with Lee.

BTW here is Marc Spears on 610 earlier today.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbshouston.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F02%2Fmarcspears2-10-11.mp3&podcast_name=Marc+Spears&podcast_artist=Ben+Nance&station_id=63&audio_link=true&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

Talked about various things including Melo, and Nene.

That was discouraging to hear as a Rocket fan. However, I'd give any team that trades for Carmelo a solid 30% chance (at least) to resign him because the money he'd lose unless he forced a sign and trade.

Nene would be a great pickup but I'm not so sure after listening to the podcast, I'd rather not trade for a player that doesn't want to be here (unless its Carmelo probably). Move on to Marc Gasol.

Landry is a mediocre defender and among the ranks of Bargnani when it comes to rebounding, no thanks.

I'm sure Bulls fans have a much, much better assessment of Asik (I'm limited to what little knowledge I have of him) but I think Asik's ceiling is as a fringe NBA starter/decent role player off the bench. He averages a respectable amount of rebounds for the minutes he plays and he's terrific at protecting the paint, could benefit heavily from playing with the Chuckwagon.

FWIW: His per 36 minutes statistics are 8.6 points, 10.3 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and yes 6 fouls per game.

Jordan Hill has so much more potential than Patterson but like you said he doesn't have the brain nor the intensity to achieve that potential (yet). Personally I'd rather hang onto him, he's only in his second NBA season and he's seen some inconsistent minutes (not sure if he's still injured).

Again do not want Landry.

O.K. I'll give you that Landry can't rebound to save his life, thats the one thing I'll give Hill over Landry. But I actually kind of like Patterson more than Hill though he's come in and has played solid minutes for us and usually gives the Rockets just what they need of off the bench. He looks much more comfortable in our system than Hill, although Hill does a pretty nice job aswell but like you said maybe Adelman should put more trust into Hill than what he has.

O.K. I'll give you that Landry can't rebound to save his life, thats the one thing I'll give Hill over Landry. But I actually kind of like Patterson more than Hill though he's come in and has played solid minutes for us and usually gives the Rockets just what they need of off the bench. He looks much more comfortable in our system than Hill, although Hill does a pretty nice job aswell but like you said maybe Adelman should put more trust into Hill than what he has.

I'd take Patterson over Hill easily but if Jordan's head was on straight, dude could be very, very good...16 points,10 rebounds and 2 blocks per game good.

Ya Patterson just seems like he has better basketball IQ than Hill. Hill makes some random decisions and HIll can not go back up with the basketball until he takes one big dribble and gathers himself.

Marc Gasol YES YES YES

Agreed Dash it was a bleak interview from a Rockets perspective clearly he sees Carmleo in NY, and really doesn't see much from the Rockets end. I would love the Nene pickup but equally as happy with Gasol.

Ya Patterson just seems like he has better basketball IQ than Hill. Hill makes some random decisions and HIll can not go back up with the basketball until he takes one big dribble and gathers himself.

Marc Gasol YES YES YES

Agreed Dash it was a bleak interview from a Rockets perspective clearly he sees Carmleo in NY, and really doesn't see much from the Rockets end. I would love the Nene pickup but equally as happy with Gasol.

How much are willing to pay up for Marc? I think its going to take at the very least $10 million to pry him away from Memphis. I'm not a cap expert so I'm probably wrong but I think the Rockets can offer up to $12-13 million assuming they either waive Yao's rights or resign him to a cheap contract.

@Chosen One - Care to elaborate?

Not really....but sure....

The way I see it is Asik would only be another potential big that we would have (Hill, Patterson), who in particular would take years to develop into a star if ever. So why trade our arguably best bench player and definitely our best perimeter defender for a small player with imo a very small chance to develop into a star. Especially when TWill is just about guaranteed to never get playing time as long as Rick is coaching. I think we should keep Lee and wait it out till the summer where we can go for players like Gasol, Nene, or Perkins. Also if we are to make a trade make it for a bigger player than Asik especially if we are giving up Lee. We should try for Nene which the Nuggets are looking to shop and is miles better than Asik.

In search of a deal

There's only one given: Rockets GM Daryl Morey wants to find at least one trading partner by Feb. 24. That leaves countless variables to ponder

The retooling of the Rockets is on hold, with trade conversations around the NBA in limbo while waiting for the major domino in Denver to fall. But according to several individuals familiar with the Rockets' involvement in talks, the Rockets expect either big changes to the roster or a small change involving the addition of a big man.

"They will be extremely active," one person involved in talks said. "Daryl (Morey, the Rockets' general manager) is talking to a lot of teams. He feels a lot of pressure to make some changes."

With the NBA trade deadline two weeks away, Morey has stepped up his pursuit of a center, several individuals said. Everything from the Rockets' expiring contracts, including the remaining months of Yao Ming's deal largely paid by insurance, to the Rockets' younger talent have been a part of talks.

Though Morey's primary goal is to land a centerpiece star, he would be happy to come away from the Feb. 24 trade deadline with a starting center.

According to several individuals with knowledge of the Rockets' thinking, the goals of the Rockets' determined pursuit of Carmelo Anthony are two-fold.

Though the primary objective is to beat the long odds to land Anthony, Morey also has continued dialogue with Nuggets executive vice president Masai Ujuri in hopes to have a head start toward a deal for Nene, the Nuggets' center who like Anthony can opt out of his contract after the season.

Morey has been willing to trade for Anthony, even without Anthony signing a contract extension, in hopes Anthony would relent to take an extension offer before the new collective bargaining agreement. And further, that a Rockets postseason run would influence Anthony to stay or that if he insisted on moving in free agency, the Rockets could benefit from a sign-and-trade deal.

Any deal with the Nuggets would center around second-year forward Jordan Hill, who has been on the edge of the Rockets rotation, a draft pick, and the potential cost-savings with a combination of expiring contracts of Yao, Shane Battier and Jared Jeffries.

Houston Chronicle

^That's a fair perspective but it all depends on how much "potential" Morey and co. see in this Asik guy. Again I have no idea what the big deal is on the guy other than his height and apparently decent defense. It is something the Rockets need but does it really make them a better team down the line?

I would much rather have Nene, Perk, or Gasol over Asik. Nene would be a long shot IMO but Perkins is from the Houston area and Gasol why not may be interested in playing with the Rockets knowing that he is desperately needed. I don't know what his asking price will be but I would assume the Rockets would be willing to reach that price if fair since it's a valuable addition. Asik seems like another project and who isn't tired of these projects? I feel like the more projects this team takes on the more mediocre they become it's a never ending process of "potential" with no star.

^That's a fair perspective but it all depends on how much "potential" Morey and co. see in this Asik guy. Again I have no idea what the big deal is on the guy other than his height and apparently decent defense. It is something the Rockets need but does it really make them a better team down the line?

I would much rather have Nene, Perk, or Gasol over Asik. Nene would be a long shot IMO but Perkins is from the Houston area and Gasol why not may be interested in playing with the Rockets knowing that he is desperately needed. I don't know what his asking price will be but I would assume the Rockets would be willing to reach that price if fair since it's a valuable addition. Asik seems like another project and who isn't tired of these projects? I feel like the more projects this team takes on the more mediocre they become it's a never ending process of "potential" with no star.

Exactly! I was in complete ahh when I heard Lee might have been moving for Asik ( I even had to think who the [expletive] Asik played for :lol:). Complete garbage as far as i am concerned.

In the off season if Perkins, Gasol, and Nene are all on the market we will manage to get one of them, I can just about guarantee it as long as Morey is calling the shots.

Projects are raw players that will make little to no contributions to a team for quite some time (Whiteside, etc), Asik is somewhat raw but he's also skilled and far from the typical project player. I think the correction would be, "and who isn't tired of these rookies?" Because we all know players in their first and second NBA seasons are supposed to lead us to the playoffs.

As far as how much better/worse Asik would make us, I don't know but he's easily better than any of the other Houston centers besides Chuck Hayes.

I think Asik is just as good a prospect as some of those late lottery guys in this year's draft and acquiring him would allow us to focus on other position. For example, I'd love to package the 12th pick+ and move up in the draft for Harrison Barnes or a point guard like Kemba Walker

Not really....but sure....

The way I see it is Asik would only be another potential big that we would have (Hill, Patterson), who in particular would take years to develop into a star if ever. So why trade our arguably best bench player and definitely our best perimeter defender for a small player with imo a very small chance to develop into a star. Especially when TWill is just about guaranteed to never get playing time as long as Rick is coaching. I think we should keep Lee and wait it out till the summer where we can go for players like Gasol, Nene, or Perkins. Also if we are to make a trade make it for a bigger player than Asik especially if we are giving up Lee. We should try for Nene which the Nuggets are looking to shop and is miles better than Asik.

Asik won't ever be a star player but definitely a quality big, which is lacking in the NBA right now. Also Rick has said time and time again that he would like to play him but there just isn't room for Terrence Williams right now, but if one of Budinger/Lee were to get traded I'm sure he'd be more than willing to get him into the rotation.

As far as Nene goes, I'd love to pick him up but just as long as he isn't to pricey. He's a great post-up player but he doesn't do the Rockets any favors defensively or on the boards. I'd rather wait till free agency and make a run at Marc Gasol.

I would much rather have Nene, Perk, or Gasol over Asik. Nene would be a long shot IMO but Perkins is from the Houston area and Gasol why not may be interested in playing with the Rockets knowing that he is desperately needed.

Perkins may be from here but I actually think he's going to be the toughest to get, prying him away from the championship culture in Boston is not easy. If the Grizzlies miss the playoffs again, I could see Gasol getting tired of Memphis and willing to move on. And if the Rockets sign him to a big contract, I don't know if Memphis would match for a player that doesn't want to be there (in this hypothetical situation) especially with a new CBA coming up.