Maloofs pushing hard for Jimmer Fredette

Dash

The second obstacle is the Kings. While other teams are intrigued with Fredette, I don't think they're taking him. The Bucks were the one team that could've been in the mix, but sources say they're going to pass.

So would the Kings take a player at 7 that most have as a late lottery pick? Yes and no. It's complicated.

Fredette isn't the top-rated guard on their board -- Brandon Knight is. Kemba Walker also has fans in the organization, but it's much closer between the two players. The Kings may feel that a bigger need is at the 3, and either Kawhi Leonard or Jan Vesely should be on the board there.

But that's half the story. The other half is the Maloofs, who are getting more involved in the Kings' front office. I'm told they are the ones who are pushing hard for Jimmer and they may get their way.

I'm not sure they're wrong in pushing for Jimmer. While it might be "high" for Fredette, he would be a good fit in Sacramento with Tyreke Evans. If you believe he can play the point, the Kings could have one of the most lethal scoring backcourts in the NBA down the road.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=6672205&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fblog%3fname%3dnba_draft%26id%3d6672205

Makes sense from a financial standpoint. Who is going to draw more, Kawhi Leonard or college basketball's golden boy, Jimmer Fredette? I still think they need to go with Leonard, he fits perfectly in their lineup and lord knows the Kings need some defense, and personally I'm not that big a fan of a Fredette/Evans backcourt.

• Owner

It's hard to say what the Kings should do. They already have Casspi and Garcia at the three. Will they finally deal Casspi? He's been unhappy for the last two years.

Other than Udrih, who do they have at the point? Evans plays the two most of the time he's on the floor, and Greene is behind him. If Marcus Thornton returns, he's also a two. Pooh Jeter??? Come on.

If Kemba were to somehow, someway, slip to the Kings...I'm pretty sure he's headed there. Otherwise, it would come as no surprise if it's Jimmer. I just can't see them selecting Leonard. Evans and Cousins aren't going to score all of their points, and Sacramento had so much trouble scoring the ball last season. They couldn't defend, either, but they weren't THAT bad defending the perimeter...it's just that they had no size (or defense at the four and five), and Leonard probably won't be seen defending the post much.