Tyerke Evans: Which Year Was The Anomaly?

Evans was the Rookie of the Year in 2010 with averages of 20/5/6 on 46% shooting and a TS% of 53. He had one of the better rookie seasons in recent memory, perhaps even one of the better rookie seasons ever. The expectations were for him to build on these numbers and maybe even become a top 5 shooting guard in the league this past season.

However, as everybody knows, that didn't exactly happen. He took a significant step back last season with averages of 18/5/5.5 on 41% shooting and a TS% of 48. His numbers were pretty down across the board, especially in the advanced metric sections. Was this regression due to him being hampered by injuries all season (he only played in 57 games and, if I recall correctly, was bothered by plantar fascitis for most of the year) or is he simply not as good as his rookie year suggests?

So my question is, which year do you think was the anomaly, his rookie season or his sophomore season?

2nd year. As you mentioned, he was dealing with plantar faschiatis all season, which is a very difficult injury to play through. However, his game is centered around dominating the ball, so while he may put up impressive stats, he needs to learn how to play off-ball and learn to become a better defender, especially now with Jimmer on the team.

Tyreke has so much potential, he was just dealing with the injury for most of the year. It was also I guess some call it a "sophomore slump". Stephen Curry went through the same exact thing last season. His numbers dropped too.

I think this year Evans is going to breakout and have a good shot at maybe even being an all-star depending on the Kings' record.

• Owner

Second one, but I'm interested to see how well he plays when he's not in BYU Jimmer mode, and he actually has a team stacked around him, as already noted.

Evans is going to have to do much more with and without the ball in his hands. Even if he doesn't become a decent defensive player, he can't just put up impressive numbers on a bad team. He's got the potential to be a star guard, but that doesn't mean it gets easier from here on out.