Playing time for Marcus Morris in Houston?

Real Deal

• Owner

You're Kevin McHale. How many minutes per game will you be giving Marcus Morris in his rookie season? I'm thinking there is no better opportunity for him than in Houston, not having to play behind someone like Blake Griffin (at PF) and being able to work with a legendary PF in McHale.

Yeah the rookie is very lucky and I am sure he's going to do really good with those Rockets. I don't know how much time he will get but if I was McHale, I would want to start him to develop his game at a faster pace and start building around him (Rockets need players to build around)

Word from the Houston camp since draft night is that they want to transform Marcus Morris into a small forward, and both them and Marcus believe it could work out. The starting 3 spot job is WIDE open, Chase Budinger will be the favorite heading into the season but the Rockets are very high on Morris and part of the reason McHale is here is to develop our forwards/centers and eventually I can see Marcus winning the starting spot. Kind of like how Carl Landry and Patrick Patterson squeezed their way into the rotation in their rookie years except Morris won't have an All-Star caliber player in front of him. I could also see him coming off the bench as the sixth man playing split minutes at the 4 and 3 but we have so many power forwards that the former is more likely.

• Owner

I hate that idea, dude. Marcus has to be in the post. His post play is what put him in the first round of the draft. There's no way you can pull him outside of the post in the pros. The defensive-minded SF's will eat him alive.

I hate that idea, dude. Marcus has to be in the post. His post play is what put him in the first round of the draft. There's no way you can pull him outside of the post in the pros. The defensive-minded SF's will eat him alive.

There were three big reasons why Houston took Marcus Morris.

1) Post play (we need someone besides Scola who can take over in the post)

2) Versatility (tweener)

3) Best player available (and according to Richard Justice from the Chron, the Rockets believed he was by far the BPA)

And take a look at this:

“He’s a very complete package,” Rockets scout Arturas Karnisovas said. “His upside is as a (small forward). We’re going to try and have him play both positions. What we like about him is his toughness. He’s a player that likes contact. He has a high basketball IQ, so he’s going to figure it out.”

Meaning they don't expect Marcus to magically play like your typical starting small forward, there will be a transition period and he will struggle but down the road the Rockets believe that the 3 will be his best position (this was supposed to be a development season anyways). Marcus already has a decent mid-range shot and he wasn't that bad statistically from the three in college, so I can see it working out. If he can continue to develop his perimeter game a bit then he could be a very deadly player, a wing that can kill you from outside if you give him the space or posting up down low.