Orlando at Sacramento

Real Deal

• 3 weeks later...

Cousins with 10 points and 5 rebounds in the first 5 minutes of the game.

He has scored in the post, on an 18 foot jumper, off of a put back and from the line already. He is really showing his skill set to start this game. Hopefully he keeps it up because when he is actually playing ball and not getting involved in a bunch of petty bullshit, he is a hell of a talent.

Cousins commits some really stupid mistakes. I know it is a cliche, but he really is his own wost enemy out there. He was completely dominating Glenn Davis out there getting whatever he wanted against him on the offensive end of the floor, but he makes two stupid mistakes that result in him picking up two completely unecessary fouls and because of that, he now has to sit with 5 fouls. If he can ever stop making these poor decisions and picking up stupid fouls, he really is going to be a special player because he is one of the most offensively gifted centers in the NBA.

Thornton really caught fire for the Kings over the past two minutes. 8 points straight for him to cut the Magic lead down to 1 point before SVG takes the timeout.

Evans looked great in this game; probably the best I've seen him play since his rookie season. He did a great job of attacking the basket, taking high percentage shots, creating for his teammates and really putting pressure on the defense whenever he had the ball in his hands. He didn't take stupid shots that have been a bit of a problem for him, wasn't a blackhole and controlled the flow of play really well.

I wish Cousins wasn't in foul trouble for most of the night because it would have been interesting to watch both of them being at the top of their games at the same time. I've yet to see a Kings game where they both played really well at the same time.

For the Magic, Davis played his best game of the season, which was desperately needed considering Dwight was only able to play 20 minutes due to foul trouble. He did a nice job of sticking open jumpers and not forcing his game, bur rather letting it come to him. He really struggled defensively when he had to guard DMC, but luckily for him and the Magic, he only got burned on around 3 or 4 possessions because of Cousins' foul trouble.

J-Rich also stepped up. He didn't just camp out behind the 3 point line and was being much more aggressive with his offense. I don't know if it was because Howard was in foul trouble and he felt that he needed to be more assertive or what, but he did a much better job of mixing it up. I don't know why he doesn't play like this more often but chooses to just chuck away from three.

• Owner
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Having foul-plagued star Dwight Howard sitting on the bench for much of the first three quarters wasn't funny to Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy during the game.

Afterward, the veteran coach could laugh about it.

Jason Richardson scored a season-high 22 points, Glen Davis added a season-best 20 and Orlando beat the Sacramento Kings 104-97 on Sunday with Howard playing only a minor role.

The All-Star center, who entered the game averaging 20.3 points and 15.9 rebounds, had five points and four rebounds in 20 minutes and spent most of the first three quarters in foul trouble. He didn't get his first rebound until four minutes into the fourth and was scoreless before converting a three-point play with 6:35 remaining, putting the Magic ahead 87-85.

"I got Dwight a lot of rest in the first half. That was a [good] coaching move," laughed Van Gundy, who received 42 points from his productive bench.

Davis earned a big share of the credit. Nicknamed "Big Baby" for his 289-pound frame and style of play, Davis consistently hit jumpers from the perimeter and used his muscle to score inside and grab eight rebounds, including five on offense. He shot 8 of 13 and had two assists in 28 minutes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120108_ORL@SAC