New Orleans at Sacramento

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A veteran who lost his starting job this season due to poor play, John Salmons was on the court when it counted most Wednesday night for the struggling Sacramento Kings.

Marcus Thornton scored 25 points, but it was Salmons making the game's most significant basket, a go-ahead layup with 6.8 seconds left to help the Kings snap a four-game losing streak with a 99-98 victory over the New Orleans Hornets.

The Hornets led by one and inbounded with 8.9 seconds left, but Isaiah Thomas stole Trevor Ariza's pass and quickly spotted Salmons cutting to the basket for a left-handed layup.

"He [Ariza] lofted it, and it was in the air long enough that I had a chance to get it," said Thomas, who started the game, but played only the final 58 seconds of the fourth quarter. "I was lucky enough that I got a hand on it and was able to get the steal."

The confident rookie point guard from the University of Washington quickly located Salmons heading toward the basket and his pass was on target.

"Credit Isaiah. He made the steal and threw it over Jarrett Jack's head," said Salmons, who had 12 points in 26 minutes. "It was a fairly open layup, but I needed to concentrate and make sure that I made the basket."

Jack had 25 points and Ariza 20 for the Hornets, who lost their third straight and fifth in six games. Chris Kaman had 18 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists.

Ariza missed a jumper as time expired to give Sacramento the home victory, where the Kings are 9-6 this season.

"You have to take care of the ball," Hornets coach Monty Williams said. "I didn't like the fact that we turned the ball over at the end of the game, but we also turned it over 20 times. It's always easy to point to that last play because we had the lead and the game in control. "

Tyreke Evans had 13 points for the Kings, who had dropped 10 of their previous 12 games. Jason Thompson and Thomas both had 12 points, and Jimmer Fredette scored 11.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120307_NO@SAC