The Dream Team

ChosenOne

The Monte Carlo scrimmage was epic and just showed how differently Jordan is wired than anyone who's ever played the game. Dude was a [expletive]in nut job of a competitor.

The Kukoc part was pretty funny watching MJ and Pippen abuse the poor guy.

The Isaiah Thomas thing was pretty crazy too, I didn't know Pippen hated him that much.

Yeh it was nice to see Jordan's competitive aside even during scrimmages. It never took a whole lot to get him riled up, and his ability to kick it to another gear just amazes me even to this day.

Also am I the only one who felt that Clyde Drexler and Chris Mullen were out of place? I didn't watch them a whole lot growing up, but I know enough to say that they were no where on the same level as the other guys on the Dream Team.

Also am I the only one who felt that Clyde Drexler and Chris Mullen were out of place? I didn't watch them a whole lot growing up, but I know enough to say that they were no where on the same level as the other guys on the Dream Team.

Not really, at least especially not when it comes to Drexler.

He was unquestionably the 2nd best shooting guard of that era. He is just overshadowed because the best 2 guard happened to be Michael Jordan and he got all of the attention. During his prime he averaged 24.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 6.2 apg and 2.2 spg on 49% shooting with a 22.6 PER. In the playoffs he averaged 23.4, 7.4, 7.1 and 2.1 on 46% shooting. He also led the Blazers to 2 NBA Finals (89-90 and 91-92) with a WCF appearance inbetween (lost in 6 to the Lakers in 90-91).

Mullin wasn't as good, but he was still a lethal scorer in his prime (from 88 to 93 he averaged 25.8 ppg on 52.3% shooting). Of all the players on the team he would be the most out of place (aside from Laettner, obviously) but he was still one of the best scorers of that era.

Really though, how many players can you say wouldn't look somewhat out of place next to Jordan, Magic, Bird, Malone and Barkley? Those are 5 of the top 15 players to ever play. I do know what you mean, though, but the only one I can really agree with would be Mullin. Drexler was definitely not out of place as far as I am concerned.

Wasn't Mullin one of the team's leading scorers?

Yup.

4th leading scorer during the Tournament of the Americas with 14.3 per game (Barkley led with 16.3, Malone was second with 14.8 and Drexler was third with 13.8).

4th during the Olympics with 12.9 a game (Barkley again led with 18, MJ was second with 15 and Malone was third with 13).

He also shot 63% and 62% respectively.

Not really, at least especially not when it comes to Drexler.

He was unquestionably the 2nd best shooting guard of that era. He is just overshadowed because the best 2 guard happened to be Michael Jordan and he got all of the attention. During his prime he averaged 24.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 6.2 apg and 2.2 spg on 49% shooting with a 22.6 PER. In the playoffs he averaged 23.4, 7.4, 7.1 and 2.1 on 46% shooting. He also led the Blazers to 2 NBA Finals (89-90 and 91-92) with a WCF appearance inbetween (lost in 6 to the Lakers in 90-91).

Mullin wasn't as good, but he was still a lethal scorer in his prime (from 88 to 93 he averaged 25.8 ppg on 52.3% shooting). Of all the players on the team he would be the most out of place (aside from Laettner, obviously) but he was still one of the best scorers of that era.

Really though, how many players can you say wouldn't look somewhat out of place next to Jordan, Magic, Bird, Malone and Barkley? Those are 5 of the top 15 players to ever play. I do know what you mean, though, but the only one I can really agree with would be Mullin. Drexler was definitely not out of place as far as I am concerned.

All valid points. Like I said I didn't watch him a whole lot, but he's a stat sheet stuffer. I knew he was pretty successful with the Blazers, but those numbers especially in the postseason are pretty amazing. I'll have to watch some tape on him when I get some free time.

Edited by Simba

• Owner

Drexler was a baller, and Chris Mullin didn't have a problem shooting in the face of anyone. As BFT pointed out, Clyde was just overlooked because of Mike.

I can't imagine what Portland would have been like if they had selected Jordan over Bowie. A Jordan/Drexler duo would have been very interesting, Drexler playing the three.

Interesting stuff on Thomas. Even if he was a bitch, the dude was a beast and should have been on the team.

I'll never forget the game after the roster was announced. Isiah went into Utah and took a collective dump on Stockton and the Jazz. I think he dropped like 45 or something like that. It was awesome. God I miss that NBA :(

Edited by Finch23

• 2 weeks later...