New York @ Sacramento

• 3 months later...
  • Owner
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Criticized as an immature player following a poor rookie season, Donte Greene is starting to become a difference maker for the Sacramento Kings.

Greene enjoyed his most productive NBA game Wednesday night, making six 3-pointers and tying a career high with 24 points in helping the Kings lead from start to finish in a 111-97 victory over the New York Knicks.

Greene declared for the NBA Draft following one season at Syracuse University. It looked like a mistake to many when Greene played sparingly a year ago, averaging 3.8 points for the NBA's worst team and shooting 32 percent.

After spending the early season this year on the bench, injuries and illness have given Greene playing time and he's produced. He also scored 24 points in an earlier game and has averaged 20.3 in his three starts.

"I hope this game showed a lot of Syracuse fans why I left early," Greene said. "This was my dream, playing in the NBA. But I caught heck for leaving college early."

Greene certainly made a statement for increased playing time, doing more than just making shots. He had career highs of six blocks and five assists. Greene hit all five shots in the third quarter, including three 3-pointers as the Kings outscored New York 32-22.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gamecenter/recap/NBA_20091125_NY@SAC