Top 10 shooting guards in NBA history

magicbalala245

Iverson all the way up at number 7 is a question mark. The rest I agree with.

By that statement I'm assuming you think he should be lowered? If that's the case, I would like to know why. Iverson and Reggie Miller are very close, I personally think Iverson deserves to be ahead of Reggie just because he managed to win a MVP award. both never won a title, but made it to the Finals once in their career (though Iverson was in a more difficult position with the roster he was with), the MVP award should be the reason that separates the two.

• Owner

I agree with ECN. Reggie Miller couldn't touch Iverson. I love Reggie, but Iverson is one of the greatest scoring guards to ever play the game and was much more dominant at the guard position than Reggie was.

Looking at the list...

1) Jordan

2) Kobe

3) West

That seems good to me. The rest can be debated easily, though. I know some guys who will say Gervin isn't better than Drexler.

I think that the top 5 is basically a lock. Gervin and Drexler is debatable between who should be 4th and 5th but both of them should be in the top 5. The only other player that has a case for top 5, at least in my opinion, is Iverson, but I wouldn't consider him to be better than Gervin or Drexler.

One more thing, Iverson should definitely be ahead of Miller. I liked Miller when he was playing and all, but Iverson was the more talented player and has the more impressive resume of accomplishments.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

The only thing I'm saying is my opinion...

Without some sort of legitimate argument to back your opinion, your opinion looks like a joke than anything right now. Reggie Miller, aside from being a wonderful shooter, isn't a superstar level of player like Iverson was. He's on level with current guys like Michael Redd or Kevin Martin. He did nothing on the court that was any more impressive than these two.

Edited by AtTheDriveIn

Without some sort of legitimate argument to back your opinion, your opinion looks like a joke than anything right now. Reggie Miller, aside from being a wonderful shooter, isn't a superstar level of player like Iverson was. He's on level with current guys like Michael Redd or Kevin Martin. He did nothing on the court that was any more impressive than these two.

That's a slap in Reggie face right there. On the level on Redd or Kevin? That is sad. Reggie is the 2nd greatest shooter behind Bird IMO. Reggie is a HOF. Only person in this league on Reggie shooting level is Ray Allen. But bout the Iverson vs Reggie debate it's no question Iverson was the better player.

• Owner

Reggie is in between your Allen Iverson and your Michael Redd. He wasn't the dominant player Iverson was, but he was better than Redd and those borderline all-stars (although Redd did have a nice season or two). He did lead a team (along with Jalen Rose) to the NBA Finals, and he also went through the Jordan era...in the same conference...reaching the ECF's twice as the sole leader of the Pacers.

Thing is, Reggie shot 50% or better from the field four times in his career, adn that's crazy because that's what the majority of his game was: shooting.

But I can't say he's as good or better than Iverson.

That's a slap in Reggie face right there. On the level on Redd or Kevin? That is sad. Reggie is the 2nd greatest shooter behind Bird IMO. Reggie is a HOF. Only person in this league on Reggie shooting level is Ray Allen. But bout the Iverson vs Reggie debate it's no question Iverson was the better player.

What does shooting have to do with overall game?

Michael Redd, during his better seasons was good for 23 points, 4 boards, 3 assists on 46% FG, and 38% 3PT on more shots than Miller ever took in a season; Meanwhile, Reggie Miller was good for 21 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists on 47% FG and 40% 3PT. How are they any different? On the court, they do the same thing and they have the same role. Ditto for Kevin Martin, whom I wont get into right now.

The problem is that because Reggie was the first shooter and the first player to regularly used the three point shot to his advantage, some idiots have this warped vision of Reggie as some sort of superstar when in fact, he wasn't much better than the aforementioned guys, Michael Redd and Kevin Martin. He was a great team leader and a great player, no doubt, but better than Iverson? Please. When Michael Redd and Martin finish their careers (assuming they keep putting up the numbers they are, of course), both will have a chance at looking at the #10 spot in my opinion.

BTW, where's Ray Allen? No mention in the 10?

• Owner

Numbers are an ugly thing when comparing careers, though. If you take the ball out of Reggie's hands, he was the best player in the league in off-the-ball play, hands down. Richard Hamilton and Ray Allen are excellent, but they really don't even come close to the way Reggie used his teammates and positioning, just to lose his man.

I mean, I can look at a player's stats and tell you that Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant are probably going to be ranked near each other in all-time shooting guards, based on a few lines of season stats alone, but we know that's a ridiculous claim. Even in McGrady's best season, he still didn't touch what Bryant has done in a few of his.

But, real talk, you brought up Ray Allen, and I would stick him in front of Reggie. He had a better overall game than Miller. Reggie wasn't a defender, and his passing and rebounding wasn't so great for a long player.

As good as Iverson? No way. Better than Redd? Yes, mainly because of his higher basketball IQ, his ability to play off the ball, and his leadership and clutch factor.

But Ray Allen has all of that as well, and he's the better scorer and quite possibly a better defender, although both actually suck badly at that end of the court.

not to sound like a noob, but whats the big deal about west? i know for a fact no one on this board was alive and watching him play while he was in the nba. was he just like a dead eye shooter, had amazing speed, could finish with contact or something? i'd like to know about him since he is the nba logo, and most people always hype him up when talking about the oldschoolers.

Edited by billt chamberlain

not to sound like a noob, but whats the big deal about west? i know for a fact no one on this board was alive and watching him play while he was in the nba. was he just like a dead eye shooter, had amazing speed, could finish with contact or something? i'd like to know about him since he is the nba logo, and most people always hype him up when talking about the oldschoolers.

He was one of the first lights out shooters, was a tenacious defender (not lockdown or anything, just played aggressive, in your face defense) and was widely considered to be the clutchest player of All-Time up until Larry Bird and Michael Jordan came around.

He was the third player in NBA history to reach the 25,000 point plateau (Wilt and Robertson were the first two). He led the Lakers to the NBA Finals 9 times out of his 13 year career. Unfortunately for West and the Lakers though, they ran into the Celtics in the Finals 6 out of those 9 Finals appearances. He did end up winning 1 NBA Championship though and he also is the only player to ever win the Finals MVP when his team lost the Championship. He had 4 seasons of 30 ppg or better and in the playoffs he stepped his game up even more (he averaged 40.6 ppg in 11 games in the 65 playoffs).

He was an All-Star in every single season of his career, made 10 All-NBA First Teams, 2 All-NBA Second Teams and 4 time Defensive First Team.

He has career averages of 27 ppg/5.8 rpg/6.7 apg on 47.4% (which is awesome for a guard during that era). His 27 ppg average is the 4th highest average among retired players. He scored 31.2 ppg at 31 years old which is the highest average ever by a player over 30 years old. Only Michael Jordon has a higher scoring average in the playoffs and only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar scored more total points in the playoffs than West. When he retired, he was the NBA's third All-Time leading scorer.

I hope that helps. I have only seen West play about 5-10 times (NBA Hardwood Classics and such) so I actually seen him play a little bit, but like you said, not nearly enough to actually have a great understanding of his game. Most of what I know is from reading up on him.

• Owner

Yeah, it's the statistics he left behind, and those clutch shots, combined with all the talk from those who have seen him play. I've seen maybe as many games as Sean has, probably the same exact ones haha...but just from those games, he was a great guard, and I try to avoid throwing that word around a lot.

Reggie is in between your Allen Iverson and your Michael Redd. He wasn't the dominant player Iverson was, but he was better than Redd and those borderline all-stars (although Redd did have a nice season or two). He did lead a team (along with Jalen Rose) to the NBA Finals, and he also went through the Jordan era...in the same conference...reaching the ECF's twice as the sole leader of the Pacers.

Thing is, Reggie shot 50% or better from the field four times in his career, adn that's crazy because that's what the majority of his game was: shooting.

But I can't say he's as good or better than Iverson.

I do not really think you can compare the two. I really think that the NBA rules got a lot softer when Iverson Started playing and came into his prime. While Reggie was playing there was a lot of handchecks and dirty D going on. I do not think that Iverson would have been as amazing if he had hit his prime when Reggie had hit his prime.

I agree with RD, top 3 are locks for sure in that order. 4 and 5 are interchangable. 6 and 7.. thats a different story. im going with miller here. iverson took so many shots and had a very bad attitude. Intangibles are hella important