My EARLY Top 5

Jckund

1. Kansas- They return every significant player from last year's team and bring in top prospect Xavier Henry. Henry may not play a huge role on the Jayhawks this year with Collins and Aldrich stealing the show, but he can definitely contribute. Another player to watch on this team is rising sophomore Tyshawn Taylor, who had his moments of glory at times during last season and should continue to improve over the years.

2. Texas- Sure, the Longhorns lose their #1 scorer in AJ Abrams, but that's not to say that other players can come in and fill the void. Texas has one of the top recruiting classes in the nation with two-guard Avery Bradley along with the top ranked small forward, Jordan Hamilton. Wingman Damion James and Dexter Pittman also return, giving them a nice balance between youth and experience.

3. Michigan State- The losses of Goran Suton and Travis Walton are going to hurt the Spartans more than they think. They have a decent group of freshmen coming in, but nothing special and always seem to be battling injuries in critical junctures throughout the season. Kalin Lucas has to step up big time and Roe, Summers, and Morgan will be there to help.

4. Villanova- The return of rising senior Scottie Reynolds made all the difference in Villanova's 2009-10 season. They bring back Corey Fisher, Corey Stokes, and Reggie Redding as well to form a nice core group of players. The loss of Dante Cunningham will show at times, but having one of the best recruiting classes in the nation certainly won't hurt. Look for freshman Mouphtaou Yarou to see big time minutes and shoulder a heavy load this year.

5. Purdue- The Boilermakers literally return every contributing player from last year including the three-headed monster of Hummel, Johnson, and Moore. As long as Hummel and Chris Kramer can stay injury free, Purdue should see a lot of time at the top of the polls. This team has grown over the years and they are only getting better under Matt Painter's coaching.

Just Missed:

Kentucky- Too young and unproven, despite the addition of the top incoming class. They lose a lot of leadership without Jodie Meeks.

UNC- Similar situation to Kentucky. They will need to prove that they can play without Hansbrough, Ellington, Lawson, and Green.

West Virginia- This will be an interesting season. It all lies on the improvement of Ebanks and Butler.

I don't know. I think Henry's role will be big. I'm also glad we took in his brother.

Gotta love the Jayhawks right now.

I have a feeling he's going to be overshadowed like Aldrich and Collins were on the 08 team... they were talented, but there were too many other great, more experienced players on that roster. If Henry sticks around for another year after, it will be his team.

I have Nova as my #1. Even with the loss of Cunningham, their recruiting staff has been overshadowed by Kentucky's and is arguably the deepest class. They've restocked talent and with their leader and 'clutch' leader Scottie Reynolds, I think they have chances to go all the way with this team.

Kansas is a close second.

I like Nova as my number 1. They return a group of studs and are bringing in a monster recruiting class to add to a Final Four team.

1. Nova

2. Kansas

3. Kentucky

4. Texas

5. Washington

Washington? Explain how they top 5...

They lose 3 solid players, but replace them with one of the nation's best point guard recruit in Abdul Gaddy and an absolutely sick class. They are going to dominate a weak Pac-10 conference, and have one of the best up and coming coaches in the NCAA right now.

I'm not saying they're a top five team, but top ten? Sure. Any day of the week.

Kansas has all the potential in the world and has 2 guys who played a role in the Championship team. Tyshawn Taylor is going to be a big factor next year in the success. As long as they are playing their best game at tourney time, I'm happy. I still think we are #1 because we are deep everywhere, even behind Cole with Withey. Maybe too deep.

Edited by BasX

I have Nova as my #1. Even with the loss of Cunningham, their recruiting staff has been overshadowed by Kentucky's and is arguably the deepest class. They've restocked talent and with their leader and 'clutch' leader Scottie Reynolds, I think they have chances to go all the way with this team.

Kansas is a close second.

I don't even have Nova as my #1 and I'm a student there... I think the loss of all that senior leadership (Cunningham, Clark, Anderson) will hurt them more than you think. It's tough to rely on freshman right off the bat, although I do think that both Corey Fisher and Corey Stokes will grow tremendously. Fisher is a better NBA prospect than Reynolds in my opinion.

To flash- I could see Washington up there, but it's tough to put them in the top 5 right now. I'm a big Quincy Pondexter fan...

Edited by Jckund

Fisher, Stokes, not to mention Reynolds but Dominic Cheek is a beast and they also bring in Yarou and Armwood who are going to contribute right away IMO.

As for Washington, they'll have one of the best backcourts in the country with Gaddy and Thomas to go along with Pondexter.

Kansas has all the potential in the world and has 2 guys who played a role in the Championship team. Tyshawn Taylor is going to be a big factor next year in the success. As long as they are playing their best game at tourney time, I'm happy. I still think we are #1 because we are deep everywhere, even behind Cole with Withey. Maybe too deep.

That is what got us our last title.

Fisher, Stokes, not to mention Reynolds but Dominic Cheek is a beast and they also bring in Yarou and Armwood who are going to contribute right away IMO.

As for Washington, they'll have one of the best backcourts in the country with Gaddy and Thomas to go along with Pondexter.

Armwood won't contribute right away man, he's too raw. I'm guessing you've never seen him play before, but he won't behind Pena/Yarou. Also, don't forget Maalik Wayns... another McDonald's All-American.

Watch out for Reggie Redding too, he could be the emotional leader of this team like Cunningham/Anderson were last year.

edit: Oh and former McD All-American Taylor King who transferred from Duke is eligible to play this year :)

Edited by Jckund

Armwood won't contribute right away man, he's too raw. I'm guessing you've never seen him play before, but he won't behind Pena/Yarou. Also, don't forget Maalik Wayns... another McDonald's All-American.

Watch out for Reggie Redding too, he could be the emotional leader of this team like Cunningham/Anderson were last year.

edit: Oh and former McD All-American Taylor King who transferred from Duke is eligible to play this year :rolleyes:

I've seen Armwood play and I think he can play this year. Maybe not at the beginning of the year but I wouldn't be surprised if he works his way into the rotation. Wayns is another guy as you said and of course Reggie Redding will be a factor this year. Nova is just as deep as any team in the country IMO.

I can agree with that... they can just keep throwing waves of shooters at the opposing team. It's kind of scary to be honest.

Three-point shooters: Maalik Wayns, Scottie Reynolds, Dominic Cheek, Corey Fisher, Corey Stokes, Taylor King, Reggie Redding

I'm still not comfortable putting them at #1 though, nor do I want the freshmen to be pressured with high expectations from the start.

1) Kansas - Too much talent for them not to be in the top 3, I love their experience as well. Henry will be a great addition.

2) Villanova - They lost Cunningham, but they still have Reynolds and one of the nation's best recruiting classes.

3) Michigan State - A hell of a lot of talent even with Suton gone.

4) Texas - Damion James I think will have an amazing year, but how good they do depends on their freshman class in Avery Bradley and Jordan Hamilton.

5) Kentucky - Even without Jodie Meeks, this team will be deadly. You might see an early loss or two, but come tournament time, this team won't be one you want to mess with.